PDA

View Full Version : AMC/Jeep High Torque Starter

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

PentaJoe
06-29-2004, 05:09 AM
=D> Hey all,

I was looking around on the net and found the MEAN GREEN tigh torque starter. Almost fell over when I saw the price tag $299 (sticker shock)
Do any of you know of a comparable starter for a little less $$? We have a 79 CJ with 304 and T400 setup. I dont know if it matters but the Engine is out of a 72 Ambassador. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a search for high torque starters here in BTF and came up empty.

Thanks again.

When we get it done we will send pics of our newly assembled ride :lo1l:

fuzz401
06-29-2004, 06:41 AM
try powermaster at summit I think mine was around 200

jeepsr4ever
06-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Guys they are all a joke and use stock hitachi motor and gear reduction unit....you can get one on ebay for $129.99 and its the same as a mean green

Crazy enough they work extremely well, I have one in a cj7 with a 11-1 401....

tufcj
06-29-2004, 08:39 AM
That's what I was told. Look for one with a Hitachi or Nippon-Denso motor, the rest is about the same. I just bought one off eBay for $149 shipped, should show up any day. It will be on my AMX, since there isn't much room to spare with 1 7/8" super comp headers. I actually have to remove the right header from the head to get the starter out.

jeepsr4ever
06-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Bob, your going to love it! mke sure you dab some silicone on the leds as they are bare and dont be afraid to clock it...they come unable to bolt on without clocking...well in my experience. It looks like a $50 unit with a $20 billet aluminum adaptor..i researched the patent as well.......its a great little starter and it gives you a cool sound when you start your AMC V8

pyagid
06-29-2004, 09:49 AM
any one have a direct link to one on ebay? Or should i stop being lazy and search for myself :wink:

-Paul

jeepsr4ever
06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7907313263&category=33576&sspagename=WDVW

Lazy sumbich :?: :?: :?:

PentaJoe
07-01-2004, 06:30 AM
I ordered the starter yesterday, hell of alot better than paying 299 for the Mean Green. It is due to arrive 07 Jun. The members of this forum are the HEAT :t: When we get it started ill let you all know. Damn I am excited....lol

Joe

jeepsr4ever
07-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Good luck joe....post your results please

PentaJoe
07-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Will do bro :t: Wish I would have done the 2 day shipping. Have to wait till the 7th to get it then a drive out to Dads house for the install :roll:

Later All

Joe

Dusty
07-12-2004, 10:13 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7907313263&category=33576&sspagename=WDVW

Lazy sumbich :?: :?: :?:

You da man MC

Thanks for posting that info on the Mean Green, I was looking at one of thier starters for $275 and was pinching my ass cheeks from the thought of the dry with sand railing my ass was going to take if i opened my wallet

PentaJoe
07-13-2004, 06:36 AM
:shock: CHIT, we installed the starter, it has a hell of alot more torque than the stock starter. HOWEVER....We still couldnt get it started. There is something wrong somewhere. During assembly we installed the crank and it turns like butter, the pistons went in kind of tight. We had the machine work done at a shop in Salt Lake City, bored .030 over then they ordered the pistons. Before I installed them I made sure each piston was marked .030 and I gapped the rings at .010 in each respective cylinder. I will admit the engine seemed tight during piston install. We put it together and cannot get the thing to turn over more than one full turn. The Battery is a fairly new AC DELCO 1000CCA and we even installed 1/0 welding cable for the starter and ground leads. Anyone have some mirical news out there for us to try? By the way it is a TH400 Auto trans or we would have tried to pull start it by now. :razz:

Thanks guys you are the heat

Joe

tufcj
07-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Pull the plugs, squirt some oil in each hole, and spin it with the starter with the plugs out. See if it loosens up a bit. Make sure your ignition timing isn't too advanced when you put the plugs back in.

What compression are you running? What lift cam? Have you verified proper clearance between the valves and pistons? Just some things I'd check.

Bob.
tufcj

Dusty
07-13-2004, 08:58 AM
what kind of piston to cylinder wall clearance did you have. Motor shouldnt be that tight, but i dont think that is why she isnt starting. Were your timing chain and crank marks lined up. is there juice going to the coil ect.

PentaJoe
07-17-2004, 11:59 PM
=D> We squirted about a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and wow it sure does turn over alot better. I guess when we soaked the top of the piston and rings before install about 3 months ago it was not enough to keep them lubed. We get about 8 turns on the motor instead of one. It really sounds like it wants to start but it isnt quite there yet. Any tips out there for inital start up on an AMC? I have the distrib. pretty much set as close to 0 deg BTDC as I can guess it. We even took #1 plug and wire off and grounded them, I plugged #1 cyl with my thumb and we cranked it over. The pressure blew my finger off of the hole and we saw a big ole spark. We bought one of those Z & M HEI distributors. Any quirks about the AMC V8's I need to know about? :-| In ref to the previous questions, we sure did line timing marks up, piston valve clearance is good. Not exactly sure on the piston/ cyl wall clearance though as I "ASS" umed the machine shop did their job. I didnt have the measurment tools at the time we assembled. The engine is turning over alot better with the oil splash though.

As always thanks Jeep thangs! Will post new news as it happens.

Joe

Bulltear Ad