PDA

View Full Version : Holley Truck Avenger or Edlebrock QuadraJet

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

craigparrish
06-29-2004, 08:18 PM
I've got an Edlebrock performer intake and cam and want to put a 4bbl that will not stall out on inclines. I've narrowed it down to these two and want to know if anyone has any experiance with them. I'm putting it on a CJ7 with a freshly rebuilt 304. This is mostly a toy vehicle and not my daily driver.

Mudrat
07-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Hey Craig, I've heard good things about the avengers beeing easy to work with and operate off camber quite well. Don't have one, but some of the other boards are saying good things about'm. Some die hard guys like the Q-jet but technology has changed since they first came out - I don't know if they kept up with it.....

Mudrat

fuzz401
07-08-2004, 08:43 AM
the only thing about a spread bore carb on a sq flange intake is they can suck gaskets in due to the small sealing area on the sides

craigparrish
07-08-2004, 10:29 AM
fuzz401, which edlebrock are you running and do you like it?

fuzz401
07-08-2004, 10:48 AM
I have the 750 it is not bad I still need to fatten it up some for my motor

milocj
08-16-2004, 09:48 AM
I haven't used the Truck Avenger, but I've tried many other Holley's with all of the off road mods and I was never real happy with them. I haven't used the spread bore, either, but I've used the standard 600cfm Edelbrock Performers on 3 different vehicles (2-AMC 304's and 1-Ford 351W) over the course of 14 years. Other than jetting/setting the rods and installing the spring loaded float needles I have had zero driveability problems with these. Most of my four-wheeling has either been on Michigan trails or the Silver Lake dunes, but I've also had two of these carbs out to Ouray Colorado without problems. I think I only leaned out the two primary metering rods when we were out there. The only problem that has been encountered at all was the float seat screens got somewhat clogged with fuel tank sediment and caused us some minor grief with sticking needles, but this was after using the carb for about 11 years and 50,000 miles. The square bore Edelbrock seems to have slightly less power than the Holley's that I tried, but the overall driveability has been great, and both the Jeeps and the early Bronco that I've used these on have gotten in the 16+ mpg range on the freeway.

Lifted79CJ7
08-16-2004, 11:47 AM
I read an article in one of the 4Xmags and they actually helped Holley develop the Avenger. They recieved 4 prototype carbs and sent them all back to holley saying to kiss their grits cause they sucked at any kind of angle. Holley went back to the drawing board and came up with the avenger. Works pretty well from what all I have read in mags and on the net. No first hand experience. I have a 600cfm Edelbrock that I originally bought for my 304. I am eventually gonna have to step up to something bigger for my 401, but it worked nicely off road. I dropped in the off road needles and seats kit when I picked it up.
Jack

Bulltear Ad