PDA

View Full Version : Bill cosby steps up to the plate.......

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
07-02-2004, 10:03 AM
He also had harsh words for black men who don't have jobs and are angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents

This is from bill cosby :shock:

mrtazwrench
07-02-2004, 11:49 AM
a looser is a looser, no matter what their dna is, if you don't do for yourself there usually isn't anybody waiting to do it for you. =D>

rollen dean montoya
07-02-2004, 10:29 PM
bill cosby hit it dead center on the bullseye! =D>

P700
07-04-2004, 08:10 AM
You know that if a white man said these words he would be considered a racist no matter how much truth there was to it.
There is another stupid sitcom on TV called "Method&Red" and I watched a little until it just sucked so bad I couldn't take it anymore and through all that I watched, the mother kept telling them to "stay away from white women". I wonder what would happen if a white guy told his white daughter to stay away from black men on national TV??
Yeah, you all KNOW what would happen.

jeepsr4ever
07-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Its touch and go really, always been that way. It is terribly convenient for Bill to say these things because he is a millionaire....

iqsr2
07-04-2004, 12:02 PM
This is my opinion, I am not attacking any one. This not only an african american problem ; even though the black man is who Mr. Cosby choose to use as his example. It is common to all races. You can't tell me that everyone no matter what there race is dose not know someone of like ethnicity that fits the description Mr. Cosby painted. As for the Tv show there are plenty of shows that degrade and belittle minorties and others; I have seen shows as described in the later part of P700 post and there was no harsh retribution towards the show. People do not like things that make them feel uncomfortable. If you don't like it don't watch it (thats my motto). Its just a tv show. I think peoples reactions speak volumes about there character. Many people were offended by what Mr. Cosby said, I think they saw it as an an attack on there ethnicity( If this is the case maybe they need to take a look at themselves). I worked in the court system in the past and I feel that I am qualified to make this statement (because I am black). There is some truth to what Mr. Cosby said; I don't think he was singleing out one race. I think it applied to everyone. I saw it as a call for everyone to wake up. I do agree with what Mr. Cosby said.

jeepsr4ever
07-04-2004, 12:57 PM
This is my opinion, I am not attacking any one. This not only an african american problem ; even though the black man is who Mr. Cosby choose to use as his example. It is common to all races. You can't tell me that everyone no matter what there race is dose not know someone of like ethnicity that fits the description Mr. Cosby painted. As for the Tv show there are plenty of shows that degrade and belittle minorties and others; I have seen shows as described in the later part of P700 post and there was no harsh retribution towards the show. People do not like things that make them feel uncomfortable. If you don't like it don't watch it (thats my motto). Its just a tv show. I think peoples reactions speak volumes about there character. Many people were offended by what Mr. Cosby said, I think they saw it as an an attack on there ethnicity( If this is the case maybe they need to take a look at themselves). I worked in the court system in the past and I feel that I am qualified to make this statement (because I am black). There is some truth to what Mr. Cosby said; I don't think he was singleing out one race. I think it applied to everyone. I saw it as a call for everyone to wake up. I do agree with what Mr. Cosby said.

:t:

rollen dean montoya
07-06-2004, 07:02 PM
so true :t: what mr cosby said does apply to all races.

P700
07-07-2004, 05:00 AM
I completely agree with IQSR2 in that there are people like this in all races and ethnics. The point I was making is the fact that blacks can say what they wish about whites with no retribution while whites must walk on eggshells or be called racist or a bigot.

iqsr2
07-07-2004, 09:55 AM
I beg to differ. There are racisist in every ethnicity. It is no different from things that were said to minorities in the past. I don't condone such behavior, and I teach my children better than this. It is a moral issue. I guess now you can see how minorities felt back in the forties and fifties. Historicaly in the past minorities probably thought some of the things you are referenceing to , but knew better than to voice them verbaly for fear of retribution or being lynched. Now that things are changing and they are allowed to speak more freely; We all will have to deal with free speech no matter how positive or negative it is. You must always keep in mind that there are two sides to every story. It is unfair of you to lump all blacks into a group because a few have said something you don't like. For example it would be like me reading your post and imediately comming to the conclusion that I think you might be suspect of having an issue with blacks because it was the only ethnic group you mentioned. I have not meet you in person or have I interacted very much with you on the board and now I make the statement I think (insert your ethnic group here) get away with saying whatever they want and my (insert ethnic group) have to walk on egg shells. In my book that kind of thinking on my part is not moral or right. I don't judge or lump people into a group. I deal with everybody I meet on an individual basis ( no matter what there ethnicity). I might not like one particular person but that does not have any bearing on the rest of there ethnic group. I hold myself and my family to a higher moral standard. I am not attacking your opinion in any way hopefully I am giving you some things to think about (as I have thought about things since reading your post). With that said I do caution you that this is just my opinion.

P700
07-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Your opinoin is very well taken and I'm sorry if I came off as having issues with blacks or any other ethnic group. I do not lump people or groups into a catagory and simply judge them. This is wrong and I do not condone it.
That was simply the way I see things through my eyes and having this discussion with you has helped me see things a little differently as I hope it did for you as well.
I would be glad to meet you in person someday and do some 4-wheeling.

iqsr2
07-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Sounds good to me . See ya on the board.

Stan :t:

Bulltear Ad