PDA

View Full Version : cooling question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pitjeep
07-02-2004, 06:23 PM
78 cj5 4in susp lift 3in body lift a driving speed cools ok but idleing runs hot i,m going to drop rad down 3in was wondering if there is a template or info to make a shroud, or would a stock one work its a 360 engine so dont know if stock would work don,t really want to go the ele fan route maybe a ele secondary in front of the rad when wheeling but would like to get it to cool without ele fan any help greatly appreacited #-o

jeepsr4ever
07-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Tips on running cool...basic stuff

Do not run your auto tranny cooler into your radiator...like some stock applications

Do not run a open element air cleaner in your engine bay

Do not run strait water

Use a fan shroud

Try a bottle of super coolant (water wetter..not sure about he above post on dish soap......LOL)

Run a thermostat

If your running a electric fan make sure your sucking air from the front of the vehicle and not blowing engine bay air on the radiator

The right size radiator tipped at a angle with dramatically increase cooling

Watch for block filler used in overbore blocks, this was meant for a racing application and not for extended trail use.

Make sure if your using a clutch fan that the clutch is working right

Timing timing timing

Bad fuel can also cause a slow combustion and heat after the cylinder

is your temp guage accurate?

watch for swelling hoses while accelerating...thats a sign of a bad head gasket or crack...also if your over pressurizing the cooling system thats a good indicator of a pressure leak.

good radiator cap also helps

I have seen a bad impeller on a water pump score the inside of the timing cover and leave to much space in the pump cavity causing cavitation and alot less flow resulting in overheating.

Too bad your not a local, could probly diagnose this issue in an hour

Good luck!

rollen dean montoya
07-06-2004, 11:00 PM
what size engine is in the cj?
is the thermostat correct?
does the radiator have bent fins?
is it a stock radiator?
i run a 3 core modine in the eagle. it is a loaded(a/c, auto, power every
thing) 1983 wagon with a 258 I-6. separate trans cooler.
no overheat problems out here in the desert. just doesn't warm up too
well in the winter :shock:
later, rollen :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad