PDA

View Full Version : 401 Cherokee custom tranny thoughts

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Dusty
07-06-2004, 02:59 PM
:t:
My Friend just scored a 75/76 401 powered w/AC 2 Dr T400 QTrac WideTrac Cherokee S for $150 and it is clean like turn key. The T400 is roached though

I know he is a prick fopr getting it so cheap but that said he wants to make it his daily and mild 6000-7000lbs trailer tow rig, and he is thinking that an OD tranny may be worth considering for the amount of highway it will see. Before he spends the time rebuilding the T400 what do you guys think is there an OD auto worth considering(we have discussed an NV4500 he thinks an auto might be more up his alley since its already setup for one)

We were thinking a 700R4 using an adapter ring and flex plate from AA but can the 700R4 be built to take towing with the torque of the 401? What parts and pieces do you guys recommend for making this tranny live. .............Billet input output servo piston ect what and where do we get these parts.......... who do you recommend we call.

I'll tell you we are looking at 33" tires 3.73 gears maybe 4.10 probably 3.73's though and we will be building the motor @ 9.8:1 and using the same howards cam i used in my jeep.

(DD2K #s say) Power curve is 170 HP 446 ft/lbs @2000
Peak HP is 398@ 4500
Peak Torque is 493@ 4000

So at 70 mph he should in OD pull 2200-2400 rpm and direct when towing should yeild right at 3000@ 465 ft/lbs. So on a hill when he looses speed he should be able to take 2nd gear right to 4000-4500rpm and hold it and be in the peak power range and still maintain 45-50 mph roughly right? When picking specks you want your pulling/passing gear to carry the peak curve at an acceptable speed right and the cruising gears 3rd in the middle of the curve and 4th to be at the bottom of the curve at least thats how ive always approached it. 111!!!

But that isnt the main concern, figuring out how to build this tranny to live 100k miles behind a 401 is. So lets hear all the tricks of the trade ideas and places to go or a better suggestion for an Auto OD and how you suggest we set it up.

Also we have considered a GV OD it is $2k and then you have to add the cost of building the tranny to so he is thinking that if he can get some extreme parts for this auto OD and bypass adding an aux OD he will probably be happier plus it will be simpler.

jeepsr4ever
07-06-2004, 05:14 PM
hey atransman you around for this one? He owns a tranny shop in Cali. If he doesnt reply shoot him a pm..

Dusty
07-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks MC

I'll Look him up.

Atransman
07-07-2004, 07:47 PM
[quote="Dusty"]:t:
.......But that isnt the main concern, figuring out how to build this tranny to live 100k miles behind a 401 is. So lets hear all the tricks of the trade ideas and places to go or a better suggestion for an Auto OD and how you suggest we set it up.
quote]

Your best bet would be to go with a Chrysler 518 transmission. It has proven it can go well past 100k miles behind the power of a Cummins Diesel. Towing 7000 lbs and running 33" tires would not be a problem either.

Dusty
07-08-2004, 09:12 AM
:t:
Thats an excellent suggestion now my next qusetion would be have you heard of anyone who makes an adapter ring to put such a tranny behind an AMC.

Probably a custom jobber, not too hard to make and then use a 727 flywheel with a spacer. you think?

Thank you for the suggestion i'll get to work on that angle too. :sa:

Do you know anyone yet who is running an OD tranny in a 401 powered rig. I think this will be nice when its done.

Bulltear Ad