PDA

View Full Version : 401 ENGINE PROBLEM

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MADMAX401
07-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I HAVE A 1978 401 0.30 VENOLIA FORGED PISTONS,COMP 280 MAG CAM
RHOADES LIFTERS,COMP ROLLER ROCKERS,DUI HEI DISTRIBOTOR,
STARTED ENGINE BROKE IN THE CAM,THEN IT ATE THE CAM AND DISTRIBOTOR GEARS,TORN ENGINE FRONT COVER OFF,INSTALLED NEW CAM AND DISTRIBOTOR GEARS NEW OLD STOCK MOPAR PARTS,
INSTALLED NEW NICKLE PLATED TIMING COVER AND OIL FILTER ADAPTER AND OIL PUMP GEARS,SET THE NUMBER ONE PISTON AT TOP DEAD CENTER INSTALL DISTRIBOTOR POINTING AT NUMBER ONE PLUG
ENGINE WON'T START,PULLED DISTRIBOTOR ROTATE 180 DEGREES INSTALL DISTRIBOTOR POINTING AT NUMBER ONE PLUG WON'T START.
ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPERICATED.

THANK YOU MARK :(:

73hornut
07-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Are you getting 12 volts to the dizzy?

MADMAX401
07-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Are you getting 12 volts to the dizzy?

IT IS GETTING 12 VOLTS TO THE DISTRIBOTOR,IT SEEMS LIKE THE ENGINE IS NOT ON TOP DEAD CENTER,I ORDERED A TOP DEAD CENTER LOCATER FROM EASTWOOD COMPANY,WHEN I RECIEVE IT I WILL CHECK TO SEE IF THE BALANCER SPUN.

MARK

rollen dean montoya
07-08-2004, 11:16 PM
that could be the problem. when you get the locater let us know what
you have found out.
later, rollen

tufcj
07-09-2004, 04:27 AM
What kind of timing gears/chain did you use? You did line up the correct timing marks when installing them? Some have multiple marks for different cam timing. :-|

MADMAX401
07-09-2004, 09:48 AM
What kind of timing gears/chain did you use? You did line up the correct timing marks when installing them? Some have multiple marks for different cam timing. :-|

THE TIMING SET IS THE DOUBLE ROLLER CLOYES THERE BEST SET,
THEY ARE SET AT 0 NOT 4 DEGREES ADVANCE OR 4 DEGREES RETARD.

MARK :(: :(:

MADMAX401
07-29-2004, 07:26 PM
I TORE THE ENGINE DOWN AND THE CAM,LIFTERS,CAM GEAR,DISTRIBUTOR GEAR ALL CHEWED UP
SENT CAM,LIFTERS,PUSHRODS,ROCKER ARMS TO COMP CAMS THEY ARE GOING TO SEND ME EVERYTHING NEW.
I THINK THE COMP 1416-16 ROCKER ARMS AND +150TH LONGER PUSHRODS WIPED EVERYTHING OUT.

MARK =D>

jeepsr4ever
07-29-2004, 07:55 PM
sealed power-summit and comp cams have had some problems with their AMC cams as of late.

Sealed power cams bend rocker arms (some of them)
Summit has had casting flash in the holes allowing oil pressure to build up behind the camshaft pushing the cam forward
Comp has done both

Its amazing how much money this costs your average AMC'er :(:

tufcj
07-29-2004, 07:56 PM
The pushrods shouldn't have caused anything as long as the lash was adjusted correctly. I'm running a Crower cam in my 390 with +.100 pushrods and Crane Gold roller rockers. With the roller rockers, the geometry is much better with the longer pushrods than with stock.

I'd heard about cams that were cast with the center (#3) journal too wide. It would touch the lifter just behind the journal (#5 exhaust I believe), and force the cam forward. Also make sure that the cam plug at the back of the block isn't in too deep.

Hope you get it going.

Bob.
tufcj

Bulltear Ad