PDA

View Full Version : cherokee speedometer issues

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

diddycj5
07-15-2004, 03:34 PM
My sister-in-law just bought a 95 cherokee yesterday. The weird part is that the speedometer doesn't work, but the odometer still turns over. The idiot car salesman told her that he thought it was a fuse since the odometer works. Since the dial looks analog, I was figuring that the
speedometer cable works, but something in the gauge itself is dead. I know the 70's era CJ's pretty well but have never dealt with cherokee's....

Does anybody know?

Anybody have a spare speedometer gauge for this model laying around?

jeepsr4ever
07-15-2004, 04:56 PM
It is illegal for anyone to sell a vehicle with a broken speedometer, also it is snakey as you dont know how many miles were on it to begin with

diddycj5
07-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Yah I know that this was not good that the speedometer does not work. However, the odometer still turns over, so there is a decent chance that the mileage is correct.

Since the odometer still turns over, obviously, the speedometer cable still works. So I am thinking that the problem is in the guage itself. (or is the gauge really electric and not mechanical, and the odometer and speedometer have different sending units off the tranny?)

Either way, she is a new driver and needs a speedometer to know how fast she is going. (doesn't have the experience to "feel" the speed).

mrtazwrench
07-16-2004, 11:42 AM
should be elec speedo with one sender on the output of t/c, sounds like the speedo itself to me, if it were a speed sensor issue, you would have no odo, possably shifting issues, and check eng light.

diddycj5
07-16-2004, 11:53 AM
That is what I figued, but I didn't know if the cherokee's speedo was elec or mechanical. I can probably locate a speedometer at a junk yard for her and possibly adjust the mileage to the current reading. (or better yet she should force the dealer who sold it to her to pay for the repair)

Thanks for the help.

mrtazwrench
07-16-2004, 09:36 PM
MAKE THE DEALER FIX IT! when i was working at the dealer we were always fixing that kind off stuff, i see it as safety related i think they must fix it!

diddycj5
07-19-2004, 08:50 AM
It turns out the "dealer" she bought it from is one of those little used car lots. I guess they got the jeep on a trade in and were planning on sending it to the wholesale auction when she stopped in and bought it. They actually had her sigh a "AS IS - contract with no warrenty impled" since they were not planning on selling it to the public in the first place. Bastards.

Oh well, we went ahead and took out the cluster and found loose wiring harness. So it is working now, but I wonder what else might be wrong with her "jewel" that I wasn't consulted when she purchased it.

mrtazwrench
07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
at least it sounds like you have the speedo figured now. =D>

Bulltear Ad