PDA

View Full Version : Axle and Xfer case setup....

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

limpingalong
07-21-2004, 11:07 AM
I am working a frame up re-build and SOA on my 83 CJ7. Stock with D30 front and AMC20 rear. 258 with a T5 tranny and D300 Xfer case.

I have a set of D44 front and AMC20 rear axles and a 228 xfer case from an 85 waggy that I would like to use for the SOA setup.

Here is my problem / question:

I am trying to finish this project for short money as I have a little one on the way. I would like to use the waggy axle setup with my existing engine and tranny but have a problem as the D44 and D30 have opposite differentials.

I have toyed with doing a D300 flip kit but too expensive.

Does it make sense / can I use the 228 Xfer case with the T5 and then use the waggy axles?

Has anyone ever done this, have any ideas, or low cost suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
CHip

tufcj
07-21-2004, 12:40 PM
You do realize that to use the Waggy front axle, and get it centered, you will have to move the CJ front springs outboard of the frame rails? If you don't move the springs, one will end up on top of the pumkin with the axle centered. The Waggy axles are also 6 bolt, so you'll need new wheels.

I don't think the 300 and 228 have the same input shaft or bolt pattern, so you're going to need some sort of adapter to your T-5 if you use the 228.

My suggestion, if you really want the Waggy axles, is to find a YJ owner willing to buy the front, and find an earlier one for your CJ so you can keep the 300 t-case.

If your Jeep only sees mild trail use, sell the Waggy axles and buy 1 piece axles for the rear, and the Warn axles for the Dana 30 and you'll be good for a long time.

Bob
tufcj

limpingalong
07-21-2004, 01:27 PM
That is great input, thanks!!

Chip

Bulltear Ad