PDA

View Full Version : Running 4 Exhaust Pipes?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
07-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Senerio,
Please don't laugh yet, you've seen monster garage.

360 V8 engine modified; T-999 auto tranny & D-300; 84' CJ8.

Here's what I want to do.
Run a Dump or a "Y" to switch to open headers so the exhaust will flow through the hood when I want to. I want to run 3" SS pipe through the hood.

I would like to get the shortie headers/exhaust for Jeg's & run a normal exhaust out the back of the Jeep, no problem right, well here it goes.

I can TRY to do three things:

1. Flip the shorties to the opposite side so they are facing forward & install the "Y"/dump & from there run the pipe regular out the back & on the other side put a 90* bend straight up through the hood. This will put the 3" pipe towards the front of the Jeep.

Think it will work w/the motor mounts?

2. Run the shorties the regular way & the exhaust the regular way & run a 90* bend so the pipes are going straight up through the hood but nearer to the windshield of the Jeep.

3. Install fender well headers & run them outside the Jeep (sides) & after the "Y" dump bring them back in along side the tranny & back up to the engine compartment & up out through the hood of the Jeep.

What do ya think?

Ya, I'm crazy but it would sound nice when I need it to & the 3" Stainless Steel exhaust would look good & help on the h2o crossings.

Thanks,
RollBar

P.S. I'll try to clearify as much as I can.

jeepsr4ever
07-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Im confused... :mrgreen: Its not too crazy, look at demo cars and mud draggers they run 8 pipes out the hood

W.T.Sumner
07-22-2004, 04:39 PM
But they don't run both. Most exaust cutouts i have seen leak some so it will sound like a blown header gasket when you run it out the back

tufcj
07-22-2004, 07:59 PM
I thought about the manifold reverse when I did my system. The big things I ran into when mounting a manifold on the wrong side, or upside down is that the "dog leg" of the port doesn't match up, and the motor mount is in the way. It's that dog leg that makes the AMC heads flow so well. Anything you'd gain with the open header, you'd more than lose in flow directly at the head.

My exhaust turns 135 degrees on the passenger side and faces forward, it goes above the driveshaft and turns under the front of the oil pan. It goes back on the drivers side and joins the other pipe there. They're 2.25" until they join, then immediately into 3" out the back. I got tired of catching and smashing the factory "Y" pipe where it went under the front driveshaft and trans.

rollbar
07-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Do you have any pics?
The main reason I want the "Y"'s is that I want to open it to open headers once in a while & the pipes out the hood just look cool, maybe I'll run it regular w/"Y"'s dumping under the JeeP.
Still toying w/the idea.

Thanks,
RollBar

Bulltear Ad