PDA

View Full Version : Scout Axles?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
07-26-2004, 07:58 PM
I've never delt w/Scout axles before so here it goes.

I'm going to buy a set of Scout D-44 axles (1977; 3.54 gears) & I wanted ask a couple of stupid questions.

I want to rebuild the axles for the 8 & when looking for replacement axles (if bad) would they get replaced w/the Superior's etc. or do I have to find some somewhere else?

Who would carry bearings & carrier bearings for them?

Are these Scout II axles?

Does anyone have a blow-up of them?

Thanks,
RollBar

tufcj
07-27-2004, 09:03 AM
It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of the scout axle upgrade. I'll tell you why. The carrier and inner axle are Dana 44, and you get the 297X u-joint. But everything from the spindle out is Dana 30. The knuckle and spindle also use 8 bolts instead of the standard 6 on most Dana 44s. The stub axle and external hub are no stronger than a Dana 30, and they become your weak link. The inner and outer axle parts are unique to Scouts. You could probably get Superior to custom make parts, but you probably won't find them on the shelf.

Ring/pinion, carrier, bearings, seals and such are standard Dana 44.

You'll have to measure to see if they're Scout II axles. The Scout II were about 59-60" wide, the earlier 800 series Scouts were a couple of inches narrower.

rollbar
07-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Excellent.

Well let me ask you this, if it's like the D-30 in reguards to the weak link then why couldn't I just take my D-30 for now & get new stronger axles; U-joints etc. for it & ride instead of messing around w/the knuckles & camber etc.

I'll be running 33"-35" tires, 33's now cause I have'em.

I don't go crazy when I wheel but I get to the same places as most, I think they call it driving w/your head instead of you right foot but there are times when I just forget & :shock: .

Thanks for the Info,
Jim

Mudrat
07-27-2004, 05:41 PM
If your building on a budget - sell the $couts, build the 30 (it's easy) and keep your foot outta the carb in high torque situations. As you said, you get to the same place as the others, and we don't run Indy cars, we build Jeeps.

Mudra

rollbar
07-27-2004, 05:51 PM
As you said, you get to the same place as the others, and we don't run Indy cars, we build Jeeps.

Mudra

Exactly, :?

Do U need a Scout front axle? :idea:

Mudrat
07-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Exactly, :?
Do U need a Scout front axle? :idea:

Nope - I rebuilt my 30 and 20 then swapped them for GM 44's with 4.56 lockers before I ever turned them with the motor!! :-)

Mudrat

tufcj
07-27-2004, 08:27 PM
I think for moderate 'wheeling, if you're not throttle happy, go with the axle upgrade in the 30. It will be fine with up to 35s. Probably less work and headaches in the long run. You didn't say what year your CJ is, but the only other upgrade is to a 6 bolt Warn premium hub if yours has only 5 bolts. I think they went to the 5 bolt hub in about 82 or 83.

rollbar
07-28-2004, 04:19 PM
84' CJ8.

Thanks,
Jim

Lifted79CJ7
08-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Being someone who has done the Scout Axle upgrade, I can give you some insight....

Pros:
1. They are cheap axles to find!
2. Brake stuff swaps out in the front with early CJ dana 30 setups
3. Easy upgrade for the rear compared to one piece axles

Cons:
1. 0 degrees of caster
2. The wall thickness of the tubes stinks compared to chevy stuff
3. You have to outboard your front spring perches
4. Gearing usually stinks
5. High steer needs different hard to find knuckles
6. Spring over sucks since it was designed as a spring under axle (pumpkin spring mount)

To sum it up, I put them in my CJ thinking I was gonna stay spring under (4" lift leaf springs). I ended up going spring over on the 4" leaves, so now I have to outboard my springs even more for bigger axles. I should have done this in the first place. Oh well, live and learn. BAsically if you are wanting to upgrade your axles cheaply and don't mind fabbing new mounts, I say do it. A dana 44 is a a dana 44. Yes your outers are still dana 30 stuff, but the entire rear axle and the rest of the front (ring and pinion gears, etc) are all stronger than what you are running. Just depends on your use and how much $$ you are looking at spending. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Jack

rollbar
08-02-2004, 04:18 PM
I just got word that a guy in our club want's to trade me my D/S drop axles for a SET of early 80' axles Cherokee (6lug) P/S drop D-44. :shock:

Go figure :lo1l:

Lifted79CJ7
08-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Sweet, I say jump on that offer!

rollbar
08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Already in the works.

RollBar

P.S. He has TWO complete sets (P/S drop). :?

P.S.S. I have a rebuilt 208 for sale (D/S drop), $250.00 OBO

Bulltear Ad