PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel in a CJ

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CJ Shark
07-27-2004, 10:24 AM
I want to get rid of the open air filter in the CJ to increase power and reduce heat, but unsure on how I'm going to do the snorkle.

Anyone have a set up on a CJ I can look at?

twas thinking on the ARB set up but I just want to make sure it will draw enough air to feed the 401.

Mudrat
07-27-2004, 05:57 PM
I got in on a group buy of the ARB set up for a TJ, with some mods I'll get it to fit the Webber in my CJ - but I'm runing the 258. I don't think air flow will be a big deal since it's a good size tube - it will all depend on your air cleaner.

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
08-02-2004, 09:30 AM
The biggest problem is that the TJ and YJ kits come in a form where you modify the factory air filter box. There is no CJ kit (at least last I looked) available due to the type of air cleaner the V8's and I6's used. I have asked somewhere on the interent before about buying the YJ kit and using it since it fits the body lines of the CJ, but was told that getting the factory YJ airbox to work is a P.I.T.A. and doesn't really work. I have just seen a lot of guys go to an exhaust shop and get them to bend up some piping. Use your regular intake until you know you will cross water , then hook up the new tube with a big ass K&N cone filter on the top of the new pipe. I am not saying it can't be done, but this is what I have heard. I would love to run one on my CJ, so let me know what you come up with!
Jack

CJ Shark
08-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a good board project hehe

Ok here are my thoughts and problems, the ARB kit of the YJ. Follows body lines sure but its a drivers side kit. Now I have to route the line around the steering arm, wiring harness etc. Better if pass side but I don't think the tj kit will fit right.

Problem two.....v8 with no air box. Now I want to run this to the carb with no air box so I need to find something like this but to also allow an air filter. This one is too small so I have to find something different.
http://www.knfilters.com/images/racing/85-1060.jpg

I'm a cosmetic kind of guy and I hate those abs pipes people use. SO......time to hunt.

Will a TJ arb fit?

Will I find a good air cleaner to fit the arb tube.

tune in next time........same mud channel.......same mud time

:razz:

Mudrat
08-02-2004, 07:40 PM
Thats a sweet looking cover!! Whats the bottom pattern look like - will it fit a rectangular Webber? :wink:

The only things that I don't like about any snorkle is that they obstruct some of the view out the front/side window and can be a snag hazard.

I haven't started my conversion yet - it's still in the box.

Mudrat

CJ Shark
08-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Found something even better bud, one that is made FOR the Weber

http://www.knfilters.com/images/racing/85-8927.jpg

Closer view of the Weber adaptor
http://www.knfilters.com/images/racing/85-1061.jpg

Comes in single and duel.

Wanna do me a favor and see how the TJ ARB fits on the CJ. Its at least on the right side and if its a good fit I'll go that way.[/img]

Mudrat
08-03-2004, 04:58 AM
Found something even better bud, one that is made FOR the Weber...
Wanna do me a favor and see how the TJ ARB fits on the CJ. Its at least on the right side and if its a good fit I'll go that way.

Kewl :lo1l:
How come when I pull up the numbers (from the embeded images) they say they are the 'Universal Plenum' (85-8927) and 'Other Carb Adaptors' (85-1061) But won't show the pics???? What's your link to the info?

And I plan on doing just that - see how the ARB Snork will fit the CJ.

What's your time frame?

Mudrat

CJ Shark
08-03-2004, 08:10 AM
No big rush bud, gotta oil pressure issue to deal with right now. And I maybe adding some Pontiac GTP hood vents to the hood to release some heat.

Doesn't really need to be installed just want to know if the TJ ARB will require allot of mods to fit. otherwise I may go with the YJ.

Link site the site I got the info from

http://www.knfilters.com/Racing/plenum.htm

Mudrat
08-03-2004, 08:37 AM
HOLLY CRAP!!! :shock: I could only find one source for these things and they are more than I paid for the freak'n snorkle!!
85-1060... Plenum, 5-1/8" Flange, Use With 85-1061 For DGV Carb. EA $215.93
85-1061.. Adapter Allows DGV Carb To Use Filters With 5-1/8" Flanges EA $94.04
85-8921 Single Snout for Weber DGV series - Not/Listed

Sheesh, what are these things - GOLD??? :razz:

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
08-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey MC, wanna chime in here and make us some cheaper parts? So Mud, i have a couple questions for ya....you are gonna use the TJ kit on the CJ? How does the windsheild channel angle line up and can you still fold down your windshield? IF you can't, I will probably just make my own kit from junkyard parts and see what I can come up with - something that looks good and also works and breathes decently also.
Jack

Mudrat
08-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Hey MC, wanna chime in here and make us some cheaper parts? So Mud, i have a couple questions for ya....you are gonna use the TJ kit on the CJ? How does the windsheild channel angle line up and can you still fold down your windshield? IF you can't, I will probably just make my own kit from junkyard parts and see what I can come up with - something that looks good and also works and breathes decently also.
Jack

Dunno - it's still in the box. I keep getting promises from people to come help, but nobody ever shows. So it's a slow process with only 2 hands and an occasional foot.

Mudrat

Mudrat
08-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Just got off the phone with ARB and they suggested another site RAMAIR (http://www.ramairbox.com/product.html). These are primarily for the big block go-fast crowd and takes dual inputs from in front of the radiator. With some creativity and a flapper valve, you can have one horn from the front like stock (with the flapper valve) and one from the snorkle!! Plus they are about 1/2 what K&N wants - but they're fiberglass and not machined aluminium (hint-hint :smile: )

I've got an e-mail into them to see if they have the carb adaptors for the Carter, Webber and idleblocks :wink:

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
08-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Sweet! Looks like a much cheaper alternative. Keep us posted with what ya find out! Oh, and on a good note, the summer busy season is almost over (ends on labor day weekennd), so I should be able to actually make it out there once in a blue moon!
Jack

PS-You missed it, I towed my CJ with the Civic the other day to park it at work (since I don't trust the apartment complex that I just moved to) and this guy almost fell out when he saw my friend and I pulling in... "Hey honey, look at that, a CIVIC's pullin' a Jeep! How often do you see that?!?" What a hoot!

Mudrat
08-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Should've had your bro in the Jeep that way you could say it was pushing the civic :lo1l: :t:

Mud

Sweet! Looks like a much cheaper alternative. Keep us posted with what ya find out! Oh, and on a good note, the summer busy season is almost over (ends on labor day weekennd), so I should be able to actually make it out there once in a blue moon!
Jack

PS-You missed it, I towed my CJ with the Civic the other day to park it at work (since I don't trust the apartment complex that I just moved to) and this guy almost fell out when he saw my friend and I pulling in... "Hey honey, look at that, a CIVIC's pullin' a Jeep! How often do you see that?!?" What a hoot!

Bulltear Ad