PDA

View Full Version : cooling questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pitjeep
07-29-2004, 08:10 AM
thought id ask the experts i,m redoing my cooling system 78cj5 w/ 79 360 im thinkinf about replaceing water pump with a folw kooler pump good-bad? what degree robert shaw stat would be best? the clutch fan isnt working right either should i replace it with another therimal-non therimal or the heavy duty one for large displacement motors or do away with it & go to a straight fan set up I,m also going to add a trans cooler in front or the rad & mount a 12 or 14 in ele fan in frot of the grill i mostly do slow trail riding & a little muddin i dont want ele fan for main cooling any help or ideas welcomed

pitjeep
07-30-2004, 05:44 AM
anyone?

jeepsr4ever
07-30-2004, 06:26 AM
pitjeep

Teh flowkooler water pump is a really nice little unit till 4500rpm. When I did some mud racing I would hit 7000rpm's and my 360 would heat up very fast. I would let it idle and voila is cooled extremely fast...thats the advantage of the flowkooler it increases pressure and volume causing extra cooling at RPM's before 4000. If your clutch fan is going out replace it, you might find that a electric fan is well worth the bucks and free's up a few ponies. I have never been a fan of flex fans or clutch fans

my .02cents

pyagid
07-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Sorry I started to respond yesterday, but got bogged down at work and never clicked submit :roll:

thought id ask the experts i,m redoing my cooling system 78cj5 w/ 79 360 im thinkinf about replaceing water pump with a folw kooler pump good-bad?

I have only heard very good things about this pump. Every thing I have read has been great, we put one on my dads 304 but have yet to run the motor

what degree robert shaw stat would be best?

I usually run 180 or 185 degree T-stat . But this is with a stock waterpump, and stock engine driven fan. so you may want to run a 190

the clutch fan isnt working right either should i replace it with another therimal-non therimal or the heavy duty one for large displacement motors or do away with it & go to a straight fan set up I,m also going to add a trans cooler in front or the rad & mount a 12 or 14 in ele fan in frot of the grill i mostly do slow trail riding & a little muddin i dont want ele fan for main cooling any help or ideas welcomed

If you are going to run a fan on the front, you could either replace the clutch fan with another, run a flex fan. Or if you want the slight added power of removing an engin driven fan, add an electric on the back as well. A lot of people use the 2 speed electric fans out of a ford taurus 3.8

Hope this helps, and someone else could chime in and give a little more insight

-Paul

pitjeep
07-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Really don,t want to reley on ele. fan for main cooling the few HP gain is no big deal to me most of my running will be low speed trail riding & highway curzing under 4500 RPM i,m not sure about the clutch fan havent had much exp. with them at those rpm witch would be better thermial- non-thermial or the hd dont know what that one is, if not a clutch fan or ele. what are my options
Thanks
Rob

Bulltear Ad