PDA

View Full Version : New here...with some problems

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

401 CJ7
07-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Hello:

Just like to introduce myself. I have had a 79 CJ-7 for about a year and a half now that I bought from a friend. It has went down about 2 friends until it was finally saved by me (these friends do jerry rig work). Anyway, it was equipped with a 304 until my first buddy decided to rev it to like 8k with water as oil and put a piston through the oil pan. He replaced the engine with a 401 from a 77 Wagoneer, and the thing was healthy as ever, and the meanest thing around these streets, not even my 5.0 mustang or my buddies 350 iroc could touch it. Now when I first took it, it's very weak and has a real bad knocking sound. I don't know what it is but i checked the rockers and they werent loose. People suggested a spun bearing and i sure hope if that is what it is, the block isnt destroyed. I'd like to rebuild the 401 .30 over and put a set of 51cc doglegs on it and port and polish it to as much flow as i can get without breaking the bank. Also, I must get pics and share the motor mounts with everyone, they just do not look right! I found out that the 401 should have been able to just drop in there because it was a v8 before, but the mounts just do not look right to me at all, it looks totally different than everyone elses, and yes i am sure it's an original 304 unless someone stuck all old looking stickers in the engine bay that gives engine information.

From another board i met Fuzz401 and thankfully he's close so hopefully i can pick his brain a lot too.

I'll get pics later on, take care all
chris

jeepsr4ever
07-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Welcome aboard :t:

It sounds to me like you have FSJ block mounts which are of a different angle than the CJ V8 motor mounts.

Lets get that sucker together :?:

401 CJ7
07-31-2004, 03:03 AM
Hi jeepsr4ever i'm the one who sent you an email requesting information about your 401 cj8. You sent me to this site but i couldnt find any writeup's or pictures on your rig :(

I will try to get pics asap because I sure am excited to find out what kind of jerry rig these motor mounts are, it looks like they welded another type of motor mounts on top of the original motor mounts, really funny stuff, plus they used a chain bolted to the engine, and welded it to the frame. Lovely. I can't wait to find out why it had a knock that increased in speed as RPM went up also.

-chris

fuzz401
07-31-2004, 04:08 PM
401 CJ7 I know who you are :? still wating for the pic for me to look at :idea: not raining right now so hurry up and take them befor it starts to rain again :smile:you know were I live now too :t:

401 CJ7
07-31-2004, 06:25 PM
401 CJ7 I know who you are :? still wating for the pic for me to look at :idea: not raining right now so hurry up and take them befor it starts to rain again :smile:you know were I live now too :t:

I will, i can't wait for you to provide me with expert feedback of my jeep! I know you know a lot and want a bad jeep. What is this motorcraft or motorsport electronic box in the engine bay, the distributor says the same so is it an electronic ignition?

I made an unanticipiated stop at the jeep on my way home from a job fair and was putting the tarp back over it dispiate many angry bee's that made my jeep their home (someone stole my soft top). I wish i would have taken my camera, i'll email you when i get the pics and i will also post them here for others to laugh at. : )

--chris

Bulltear Ad