PDA

View Full Version : Old AMC PN #321 6130 (Allows 727 to mate w/ the 390 crank)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

timboamx
07-31-2004, 06:04 PM
AMC use to produce these, and I'm sure other folks 'll need them too.

I'm not really sure what they look like, just looking at the Performance American Style guide from 1980 & it's telling me I need this, it just gives me a schematic of how the crank needs to be machined. Please tell me you know what I'm talking about (I Cant find one & this $10.00 piece is whats gonna end up holding up the completion of my stroker project).

Thanks, Tim

jeepsr4ever
08-01-2004, 04:40 PM
that torque converter adaptor isnt tough to machine....if I had a original or measurements from the crank I could make ya one with ease...dang

Maybe you need to put a call out to AMC car guys

timboamx
08-02-2004, 06:36 AM
does this help, cause I really dont know what one even looks like.

Here is the picture http://home.swipnet.se/amc/adapter.html

tim

jeepsr4ever
08-02-2004, 07:10 AM
ok do you need one, If thats it $24 shipped and I will machine one for you

timboamx
08-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Yes sir I sure do. Now how do I go about payin for it.

Tim

jeepsr4ever
08-02-2004, 10:23 AM
please send one arm and one leg to

Bulltear ind.
30401 Neal ave
Lindstrom MN 55045

or paypal to jeepsr4ever@yahoo.com

:mrgreen:

Rogue Racer
08-02-2004, 01:00 PM
This adapter fits into the back of the 390 (or 290/343 or early 360) crank and the concentricity (how close to round it is) relative to the centerline of the crankshaft is totally dependent on the factory machining on the relief in the back of the crank. All that to say that you really need to check the runout of the adapter in the inside where the torque converter will seat and make sure it is within specs (.005" max out of round, I believe). Elsewise, you will ruin a front pump on the TF and have a very leaky seal.

If you note, the factory 'print says to machine these dimensions in place in the crank. I have seen a 390 crank that was almost .020" out of round and a 290/343 crank that was .028" out of round in the area where the adapter would seat. I have also seen them right on.

Just check it to be sure.

timboamx
08-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Uh, Now I get show my non-mechanical skills. What did you just say? I'm not the one doing the machining, my engine builder/machinest is doing it, he's the one that recommended I get the adapter, cause he hates doing the TF-727 to 390 crank mod without it, although it can be done. He's built (his words) hundreds of AMC engines in the past 30 years, as well as racing them too. Alot of the AMC guys in Kenosha (@ the show) and North Chicago area say that I'm in the best possible hands when it comes to an AMC build up. Don Schmitz (Owner of the Wally Booth race cars) said Joe know's his s*** when its an AMC engine. So I feel pretty confident in this build up. (The reason I need the adapter built is cause his machining tools are rough or something like that he said, not made for doing that type of work)

Tim

jeepsr4ever
08-02-2004, 02:03 PM
concentricity is very important, we can hold .0005 but after you get it, it will only run withing the crank concentricity. Good point rogue

timboamx
08-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Jeeps4ever,

What does all this mean? Should I wait until the crank has been milled? Maybe I have to sent it to you? I'm not so sure whats goin on? This whole thing has me at a loss.... Please pretend like I'm (stupid) cause I apparently am, and put it into something I can understand.

Thanks, Tim

Rogue Racer
08-02-2004, 03:48 PM
All I'm saying is that check the back of the crank where this adapter is supposed to fit to make sure that the recess in the crank is round. It's easy to do if the crank is jigged up to be machined. Put a dial indicator into that recessed area where the adapter is going to be fitted and measuer how true it is. If that machined area has runout, then the adapter will have runout and cause the torque converter to not be on center with the crank. Ideally, you would want to do the final machining of the inside of the adapter after it was inserted into the crank. Alternatively, check the crank for runout. If it has a lot, then you may have to machine the adapter after it is installed into the back of the crank.

jeepsr4ever
08-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Because of the tolerance on the crank the it could be out of round. I am willing to bet that it is close though, they almost always have been. You should (meaning percentage wise) be able to get away with pressing in this little spud piece.

timboamx
08-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Jeeps4ever,

I really appreciate it, but AMC Lives actually has it (w/ instructions) Although he is a little more expensive, guess I can justify the extra $.00 cause I'm getting his catalog too.

Again thanks.

Tim

jeepsr4ever
08-03-2004, 12:02 PM
:wink:

Holeshot
11-18-2005, 12:21 PM
http://www.american-powersports.com/dave/image/amx/tech/pre72_2_tf.jpg

tarior
11-21-2005, 12:35 AM
I could use one of these, too, wuts the status?

Bulltear Ad