PDA

View Full Version : cj5 question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pitjeep
08-05-2004, 06:01 PM
78 CJ5 360 auto trans(amc) dana 300 4in sup lift 35in tires, on hard take off it chatters badly at highway speed 40-45 -50 a slight vibe not real bad. i,ve been told the only way to fix this is to take out auto & use a t-18 i,d really like to keep auto. tom wood said a double cv shaft might cure this i,m sure i,m not the only one with this combo am i ? any thoughts or info on this will help i hate to do unessacary work & know you guys are pretty up on these kinds of things. the d.shaft is about 12-14 in long & i,ve shimed the rear pinion angle no vibes from the front end i could live with the 45-50 mph vibe but the chatter has to go & i,m sure neither are good on the drivetrain.

jeepsr4ever
08-05-2004, 06:31 PM
its a cj5 with a auto..are you runnign a cv driveshaft in the rear? You should...or a high angle drive shaft..Tigger on this board deals in CV's pm him

tufcj
08-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Make sure your motor and trans mounts are solid and haven't broken or softened from oil contamination. There should also be a torque strap on the drivers side of the trans that keeps things from torquing over. It may have been eliminated during the trans swap. You really should have it, it keeps the motor and trans mounts from breaking.

Check for shiney spots on the inside edges of the yokes on the driveshaft, output shaft and pinion. Chances are that your chatter on takeoff is the driveshaft binding as the engine and trans torques over or twists to the side from bad mounts.

I agree that you need a CV rear shaft at very least, with 4" of lift and only 12" of driveshaft, you may need the high angle shaft.

Bob
tufcj

pitjeep
08-05-2004, 07:11 PM
can you tell me more about tourque strap i cant say i have ever seen or heard of one

tufcj
08-06-2004, 08:22 AM
From the factory there was a bar that bolted over the trans mount extended to the drivers side about 8" or so. There was a stud with a rubber snubber that went thru the skid pan and that bar. If you have the stock skid pan, you should see the hole in line with the trans mount holes. It just kept the engine/trans from twisting under load so the mounts didn't break.

I've seen manual trans Jeeps without them torque the trans over enough for the shifter to dent the floor pan.

I might be able to get some digital pics of mine.

Bob.
tufcj

pitjeep
08-06-2004, 11:35 AM
ok i know what you are talking about i didnt know thats what it is called, the mounts are thereill check the strap

Bulltear Ad