PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump problems

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

paddyp
08-07-2004, 06:49 PM
OK, tonight I threw in my high pressure oil pump spring. Before, I would get ~40 psi at start up, 25 cruising warm, 0 idle warm (all with stock Jeep gauges). Started it up, did not want to run, oil press shot up to over 80, shot out the filter gasket. I shut it down, but want to know, wtf happened?

tufcj
08-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Does your filter adapter have a bypass? The newer ones (like MC sells) don't. It's a small port you can see next to the fiilter stud when the filter is off. With a high pressure spring, and no bypass, the pressure all goes to the filter. If it was an old filter with some blockage, you may have overpressured it. Generally, you don't want to use the HP spring and a non-bypass adapter together.

Bob.
tufcj

FrankNB
08-09-2004, 07:17 AM
What if you had an oil bypass filter?? Now, that's a good idea.. some of the pressure would be diverted over to that... :?

jeepsr4ever
08-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Yup the high pressure spring is a dangerous thing to have if your not fimiliar with them. What happened is that you pushed your filter pressure over the top and activated your pressure relief valve which overloaded the pump and filter blowing the side out of the gasket. A hp spring is used mainly when the tolerances of a race motor are used or the street motor has high mileage. Like tufcj said if you use a oil filter adaptor with a oil pressure bypass cast in or plugged you run the risk of overloading your pump at any time with a hp spring. The flip side is that with the bypass and a hp spring you can cause bearing damage when the oil filter adaptor opens allowing dirty oil into your engine. AMC oiling is very sensitive to mods..some sell hp setups but can cause damage to your gears and pump and hard starts...its all very relative to one another and we have delved into is using engineering math and tables for oil and spring rates.

That help?

-MC

jeepsr4ever
08-09-2004, 07:32 AM
we no longer sell the hp spring with a oil filter adaptor and we give warnings to our customers who ask for this spring. Was it one you got form us and did I mention the issues? If not I would like to know

FrankNB
08-09-2004, 07:48 AM
MC, I got a spring with the cover and adapter.. Should I use it? It's all going on a rebuilt engine... :sa: #-o

jeepsr4ever
08-09-2004, 07:54 AM
frank If its red then yes, I believe I only sent you a std spring, the hp springs we sell have no paint on them

FrankNB
08-10-2004, 05:50 AM
I checked last night, it's a red one.. :lo1l:

jeepsr4ever
08-10-2004, 06:38 AM
:t:

Bulltear Ad