PDA

View Full Version : M-416 Military trailer

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
08-10-2004, 11:12 PM
I have a coworker who has one of these trailer sthat he is gonna give me for free:
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m416.php3
It does have a lot of rust and will need some work, but hell, can't beat free. I might have to turn it down if I can't find a place to keep it and work on it!! It would make a great, cheap little project to work on!
Jack

ROBERT11
08-11-2004, 02:59 AM
:lo1l:

pyagid
08-11-2004, 06:25 AM
:lo1l: 8) I have been looking for Something Since the day I bought my CJ. Especially at the price you are getting it at

-Paul

Lifted79CJ7
08-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Anyone know where I can find some replacement spring packs for it? The ones on there are shot.
Jack

pyagid
08-11-2004, 10:33 AM
http://vegasauto.net/m416/m416faq.html

and try pming trailbst he is pretty knowladgable about these things

-Paul

Trailbst
08-11-2004, 11:33 AM
You can find a lot of stuff for them on Beachwood Canvas (http://www.beachwoodcanvas.com)

Or, you can order any early (55-75) CJ spring pack for them. They use the same 1 3/4 width springs as the early CJs. My suggestion is to use the 13 leaf Military spring pack. These can be bought as NOS (New Old Stock) from a lot of the military surplus places. They will still only be 1/4-1/2 ton like the trailer, but will have some extra flex for you, and some extra height. DON'T put lift shackles on the trailer.

If you don't have the space to stow it, let Paul or I know. My dad has one of these trailers, and I would love to have one for myself.

Erik

ROBERT11
08-11-2004, 12:36 PM
If you need to I have a perfect place to put it and I am only a half hour away. :?:

Lifted79CJ7
08-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Yeah, I called a couple Military Gurus and they all kept saying the same thing about the early CJ springs. I would like to keep it the same large spring pack for the flexibilty. As for weight, I won't be carrying much, just camping crap, kegs of beer, girls, you know-the usual stuff. I might take you up on the storage place Robert. I really want to check into this and see if I can get it to pan out and get to work on it. I can't move it until I get some ubolts and leaf springs, though. I'll give Beachwood a call tomorrow and see if they have any NOS ones left.
Thanks again kids and I'll keep you updated!! :lo1l:
Jack
(Might have another trailer to work on since having to sell my boat trailer turned double 55 gallon drum grill from hell! Woo Hoo!!)

Lifted79CJ7
08-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Wow, just got an email back from Beachwood. Here's what they said;

"Dear Jack
We have all the leaf springs drop shipped right from the manufacturer. According to our information the CJ5 used a 12 leaf front spring; 5E1601-12 which is available for $187.00 each. There are no 13 leaf front springs available from us.
Sincerely,
Rich

Beachwood Canvas Works
39 Lake Ave, P.O. Box 137
Island Heights, NJ 08732-0137
Phone: 732-929-3168
Fax: 732-929-3479
www.beachwoodcanvas.com"

Wow, $187 each??? Uhh, I can buy a whole freakin trailer for $400 in great shape!! Oh well, I'll keep looking around.
Jack

Trailbst
08-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Just order 2" rancho front spring for an early CJ, slam some 33s under it, and it will look good behind your Jeep. 12 leave springs are really cool looking though.

Erik

Lifted79CJ7
08-12-2004, 03:04 PM
I wonder how it would tow with 4" lift springs on it? I am running around 10 inches of lift on my CJ (which will be what pulls it), so I need it to be a little higher off the ground. Hmm, maybe a springover? I would imagine a spring over is a bad idea on a trailer. Anyone care to add any comments? If I am gonna get and fix this thing, I want to tinker with it only once and for as cheap as possible.
Thanks!
Jack

Trailbst
08-12-2004, 05:09 PM
A spring over with how stiff of a spring? That is what you need to think about. You're not wanting too much flex with a load in the trailer. Keep the Pintle Hook. If you take it off road that is all the flex that you will need.

You also don't have to lift it too much. You can get drop brackets for pintle hooks. So i would suggest something like a Rancho 2 1/2" springs, and some 34x9.5 Swamper LTBs. Gives you some height, gives you the load rating you want, they are inexpensive for the size. Or you could go with some 16 inch rims, they should be cheap for the trailer, find used military ones. Experiment with 16 in tire sizes. I think a 315/85/16 is somewhere around 35x11.25 (I know someone will go find out on a calculator and correct me :) ) The skinny tires will also keep it inside the cool looking fenders.

Get the trailer. Then decide. There are lots of options.

Erik

Mudrat
09-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Jack you've been here (the house) since this was posted - did you get it? You never asked to use the truck and pintle ...
and I did the spring over on my 1 ton while you were gone :?

Mudrat

Bulltear Ad