PDA

View Full Version : New engine wont start NEED HELP PLEASE

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

doitnow
08-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey Folks,
I finished installing a rebuilt AMC 360 from a 75 J10 and dropped it into my 83 CJ7. All parts are new with a few performance enhancers. The whole Jepp has been rewired. Now the delema its cranking and the cylinders are firing but it wont fulling start up. It has choked a few times like its trying but no luck. Ive been threw the timing 10 times and just pulled of the timing cover just to verify the sprockets are right. All the wiring has been checked but i figure as its trying the wiring should be good. After all this still nothing. Talk about frustration. Any advice would be great.

jeepsr4ever
08-11-2004, 02:51 PM
if your cj had a six check the purple wire going from your distributor in your harness it wont match up to your ignition control module..you willhave to splice purple to purple coming directly from dizzy to ignition control module. Another consideration is the orientation of the baby blue wire and red wire to your starter selenoid. If they are hooked up wrong it will only fire when they key is turned back. Sometimes the wires from the selenoid to the coil can get screwed up or become loose. Also make sure your oil doesnt smell like gas, what this means is your fuel pump isnt pumping enough and is broken casuing the crank case to fill with gas. You may have a bad ground on the body or engine...they both have to be grounded in a stock retrofit setup. I always run the ground directly to the engine form the negative terminal. did you check your cap? or maybe your coil to dizzy wire? Its not here in front of me so its hard to diagnose

fuzz401
08-11-2004, 05:11 PM
check your spark plug gap if to big it will do the same thing

doitnow
08-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Ive checked the plug gap twice so i know thats good. The ground and the dizzy are all new and good. Ill check the wiring tomorrow it sounds like that could help. Question though im getting spark at all cylinders and its trying to light off would the wiring still cause that even though im getting spark from the dizzy. When i ripped all the old wiring out i had two ignition modules one under the dash and one on the fender. The explanation i got from a friend was that in 84 they changed the wiring so i have stuff from 83 and 84 he says my jeep was probably produced late 83. If that dont work i may put it on a trailer and so it could be in front of you. Thanks guys

jeepsr4ever
08-11-2004, 06:33 PM
I see your in Fla. isnt Frank from floridajeepers.myforum.net a wiz you should pm florida jeeper who is a member here...he may be local...or rollbar

iqsr2
08-11-2004, 06:56 PM
did you replace with new push rods. they could be to long.

73hornut
08-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Sounds like your losing juice to the coil when you let off on of the key from the start possition. Check your voltage to the coil with the key in just the on possition.

Lifted79CJ7
08-11-2004, 09:56 PM
If it is stumbling, you might have the distributor in 180 degrees off and firing on the exhaust stroke.
Hope this helps,
Jack

doitnow
08-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys ill give it all a try once our hurricane passes. Ill let ya know.

Bulltear Ad