PDA

View Full Version : Which to build?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Tool Dude
08-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Hello, I am new to posting on any forum.please excuse any e-ignorance and any constructive critisizm is helpfull.

I need help deciding which fsj to build. I have a 75 j-10 with a loose q-trac chain and the rear end out of a wide track cherokee that is not off-set causing a terrrible drive line angle. I also have a 87gw with a broken frame behind the stearing gear (easy fix) and all window electrics need attention. both have front and rear d44s but the wag is 2.72 gear compared to the 3.54 j-truck. both motors and trans are strong. the bodys are both in about the same condition. My concerns are the weight of the gw is high but I prefer the narrower track and shorter wheel base.

I also have a 93 wrangler that could benifit from the waggoneers axles and older fsj parts are more plentifull around here but transfer case upgrades from q-trac are limited.

Main use would be towing and beatin' it against the rocks at tutttle creek O.R.V area. Not a daily driver but 500 mile trips will be occasional

jeepsr4ever
08-14-2004, 12:30 AM
I would say the j10 the jeep trucks are among the toughest out there and definately respectable when built

mrtazwrench
08-14-2004, 08:54 PM
:t: mc is right, if i had a truck body that's the way i'd go. i'm planing a plow truck project for next year, i'm stuck with a wag body right now, i have a choice of 2 frames, a 76 chero with qt axles under it right now, or a 86 wag, both frames need work. the 76 is solid in the mid section, needs rear patching, the 86, i welded skid plate into the rear frame and mounted a heavy reciever hitch, before it was a crash victom, #-o but the mid section, fuel tank area needs work. i'm thinking of going with the 75 frame, i have 88 wag body that i plan on using, i'm hoping it will plow with it's bad frame this winter, where i'm getting stuck is what drive train i should use, i have 2 qt's probally need work, a 208 i think will work with my 727's, it was on a t176, let me know if it wont go on the 727, a t176 with case, but it is on a 6 i plan on staying with a 360, and a t18-208 for a 360, and j20 axles to go with both drive trains, :mrgreen: i also have a coupple 229's but think they are probally not good to plow with, i will be using the one in the 88 this winter and plan on having it in 4lo when pushing snow. :-|

Tool Dude
08-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Are you saying the Wag is not as tough? What is weaker? The wife is voting for the gw. I would love to do both but she has different ideas.
Wouldnt the waggy axles and springs go right under the j-truck? If I go gw untill the frame rots out I'll transfer the upgrades over to the j-10 and stay w/drivers side drop diff. Maybe just drive the wagoneer while I prepare the j-10 for the transfer of parts. That is, if I can get it past the wife!! I think she's worried Ill stop working on her yj and devote more resourses to my toy,she's probably right! LOL

jeepsr4ever
08-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Hey what the wife said...I am not going against the Boss :mrgreen:

If mama aint happy aint nobody happy

jaber
08-27-2004, 07:34 AM
Hey what the wife said...I am not going against the Boss :mrgreen:

If mama aint happy aint nobody happy

Boy, aint that the truth,LMAO....................................

Bulltear Ad