PDA

View Full Version : So I have this noise...

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

djfuzzy
08-16-2004, 06:35 PM
1983 CJ7

It is located somewhere in the right rear wheel area. It doesn't occur when I am driving until I hit the brakes, then it just has this kind of styrofoam screechy type noise...umm...that is the best way I can describe it. It happens on every turn of the wheels and when I am slowing down it is a big ass annoyance, pardon my French - nobody likes those guys anyway. I set up an appointment with a guy at the local Jeep dealer for tomorrow because they were too busy to take a look today. But me and my dad looked at it tonight and can't determine what it is...could possibly be a bad tire problem because the tire has a slight air bubble on the sidewall and despite putting in some more pounds it still has the bubble. We looked inside the drum and there appears to be alot of brake fluid inside of there and the brake smells HOT! Somebody please help me! If possible, please hit me up on AIM - FAILUREveggie or MSN - crazyman_05@hotmail.com.

Thanks a ton! This is my daily driver so I can't afford faulty brakes at highway speeds!

mrtazwrench
08-16-2004, 08:57 PM
sounds like the wheel cyl went and soaked the shoes in brake fluid. :-| new cyl, shoes, turn drums if still in spec, should be good to go. :t:

djfuzzy
08-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Replaced cylinders last month as well as shoes. Had the rotors turned today and the noise still occurs...maybe it is a problem with the tire or something? I am having those checked out tomorrow.

mrtazwrench
08-18-2004, 06:56 PM
if you had fluid in the shoes from the old wheel cyls it will cause problems, when the brakes get hot it will cook the fluid out of the shoes, i've seen wheels lock up from this, #-o also are you sure it had brake fluid in it or was it maybe gear lube from a leaking axle seal, this too will ruin the brake shoes. please post what the dealer found, and good luck getting it sorted out. :t:

djfuzzy
08-20-2004, 11:39 AM
The guy at the dealership took it for a spin around the parking lot and said it must be the drums being warped because I didn't machine them when I replaced the shoes #-o . So I got the drums turned and the noise still occurs. I didn't want to have them look at it in the shop because, being a 17 year old part time worker, I don't have money to pay for servicing at a dealership. For 15 bucks, would it be worth it to try and replace then wheel cylinder even though it is brand new, or should I shop around for the seal that you speak of?

mrtazwrench
08-20-2004, 12:07 PM
if you already put the cyl on it should be ok, you need to verify that the shoes are clean, and that the axle seal is not leaking, and if it is the seal the rear diff needs to come apart so the axle shafts can be removed.

pyagid
08-20-2004, 12:11 PM
and that the axle seal is not leaking, and if it is the seal the rear diff needs to come apart so the axle shafts can be removed.

You should not have to pull the rear diff apart inorder to remove the axles. There is no C-clips on an amc 20.

djfuzzy
08-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah, thanks for the help dudes. It is most definitely that oil seal. What all do I need while changing this out?

djfuzzy
08-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Bought the oil seal and bearing and going to install them when I get home from work. I will let all know how it goes.

mrtazwrench
08-21-2004, 05:12 PM
and that the axle seal is not leaking, and if it is the seal the rear diff needs to come apart so the axle shafts can be removed.

You should not have to pull the rear diff apart inorder to remove the axles. There is no C-clips on an amc 20.

have not had any apart lately :oops: all them i've done at work lately are all fresh in my mind. :-|

Bulltear Ad