PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan gasket for 304-recommendations?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

milocj
08-23-2004, 04:21 PM
I need to drop the oil pan on my 304 in my CJ to knock a broken dipstick tube out from underneath. Is there any particular brand of oil pan gasket that I should use or avoid when I put it back together? Also, does anyone know where I can get the little tab that bolts onto the valve cover (Bulltear product maybe?) and holds the tube in place? This was missing and the tube was broken when I bought the engine. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to make the support myself if I had to.
Thanks.

fuzz401
08-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I just made the tab myself does not take much

oil pan gasket I use any brand the big thing is how tight you make it when it starts to squeze out it is tight enough

tufcj
08-23-2004, 08:58 PM
I've always had good success with Fel-Pro gaskets. The only way to get the pan gasket on right is to glue it to the block. I use a few small dabs of Permatex weatherstrip adhesive. Let it get tacky, then stick it to the block. Clean all surfaces well, and use a dab of silicone (I like Permatex ultra grey) only where the side gaskets contact the end pieces, NOWHERE else. Like stated above, only tighten until the gasket starts to bulge on the outside. If you tighten them too much, you warp the sealing surface on the pan, and it will leak.

For the dipstick, insert the tube with the stick inside, and pull/push the stick before tightening the pan. the dipstick goes thru a small hole in the baffle and a slight mis-alignment of the tube could cause the stick not to go in. Better to test fit before tightening the pan, while you can take it loose and adjust.

Good luck.

Bob.
tufcj

milocj
08-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the tips. I did know about needing to check that the dipstick went into the pan before bolting everything up, I made that mistake on the last CJ I did this too :oops: about 6 years ago.

I guess I will make my own dipstick support tab, I was just getting lazy. How far apart are the mounting hole and the dipstick tube hole? Does it mount on the second valve cover bolt from the rear? It's been a long time since I've seen one.

tufcj
08-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Email me with your mailing address, and I'll send you a factory one. I'm sure I have a spare in a drawer somewhere.

Bob.
tufcj

milocj
08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks,
I sent you a PM with info. I had this CJ7 out to Aurora a few years back, when it was the beginning of a rust bucket with the 258 in it. If I could find a job out that way I'd be moving to Colorado in a minute.
Jeff.

Bulltear Ad