PDA

View Full Version : I am going to get beaten for this one cj7 for an 8

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Dusty
08-24-2004, 11:29 AM
I found a CJ-8 frame, roll bar and tub. nothing else no column or wires ect. the guy is willing to sell for 700, Or the guy is willing to take just my 1960 cj7 tub and frame in exhange plus $100 and i get to strip all my goodies off my CJ tub to put onto the Scambler

What would your response be here. I said hell yes. $100 and some elbow grease swapping everything over and i get to upgrade from a 7 to a 8 gee let me think.

401 w/FI nv4500 D300 with D44 and D60 all in a CJ8 no smog to deal with. 111!!! I might be missing a few marbles right now but i garauntee that my group is going to beat me into oblivion for showing up with an 8 instead of a 7, talk about an upgrade in room. I'm spring under right now, i might think about spring over with a Scrambler.

I'll keep you all posted on if this materializes. Hopefully the dude hasnt hacked up the 8 tub and it hasnt rusted any since last time i saw it. it was originally getting stripped for Baja racing and then has sat in a field as a frame and tub since then.

i should add too i have the 7 all torn down and stripped because im painting and doing body work. so timing couldnt be better

tufcj
08-24-2004, 01:03 PM
I'll let you slide if you bob the '8. :?: :mrgreen:

Mudrat
08-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Sounds like another good deal is done!! Pics would be nice though :lo1l:

Now about bobbing that thing :-| I've seen some good looki'n cut downs, but think about it hard before you do. It's hard to undo something like that an look right.

Mudrat :t:

rollbar
08-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Keep it (how can I say) ORIGINAL. :t:

Bobbing a 8 is like having a 7 ON ROYD'S.

IF u bOb it u might as well keep the 7.

This is my opinion only & not nessessarly the opinion of others. :? 111!!!

RollBar

milocj
08-24-2004, 07:04 PM
That sounds like a good deal to me too, but I would also keep it original since there aren't a whole bunch of them around.

How did you mount the NV4500 to your skidplate? I bought a 304/NV4500/Dana 300 to swap into my '86 CJ7 and the adaptor mount to the skidplate is pretty tall. I've got to drop the skitdplate about 1 1/2 inches and I think the engine is still angled slightly up in the back. I'm sure that this is probably something that AA sells because it is a nicely done rectangular tube that bolts into the bottom of the tranny and then sits on top of two tall rubber and metal pucks with BIG bolts that go through the skidplate. I'm hoping I can fab or buy something else that will let me gain a little more clearance under the skidplate.

Dusty
08-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Thing was hacked bad and the floor had rusted. Too good to be true ussually is but I sure was hopeful and excited there all day yesterday. but some people dont know how to take care of things enough to make them worth keeping after awhile. Dont worry, its hard to get me to cut my sheet metal letalone bob an 8 i like to keep things looking original. this day and age that is a rarity.

As to the NV4500, i'll keep you posted I Have alot of dabbling to do when i mount it. RJ brought up a good idea of just using 2 bolts and a solid piece of poly and then bolting that to a thin tubing cross member spanning from inside frame rail to rail. bolting to the side of the rail and then using a skid plate to span the belly with it broke and bolted to the outside of the frame rails. Should be able to tuck things higher this way???

W.T.Sumner
08-26-2004, 04:42 AM
How do you put a 1960 vin # on a cj7??

Mudrat
08-26-2004, 04:43 AM
Pop rivets :?

Mudrat

milocj
08-26-2004, 05:41 AM
I've got my NV4500 put together right now with the mounting bracket that came on it just so I can start driving it again within the next few weeks. I've got to pull the skidplate down one more time and I'll take a quick look at going to just the rubber puck, but I think next spring I'll start looking at trying to fab a new plate that will tuck things up a bit and maybe even a clocking ring if they are strong enough. I found a tubular crossmember with a bolt on steel plate guard at www.montanajeepframes.com but $350 seems a little steep even if it is as well made as it appears to be.

Dusty
08-26-2004, 09:06 AM

:wink: when you weld a cj5 to a CJ7

Dusty
08-31-2004, 08:55 AM
Picked up a different tub and frame, paid a little too much for the damaged tub but with a hamer and a little time she will be straight again or atleast relatively. Gotta hammer out the cowl by the hood hinge mounts (front end impact push hinges into cowl a little) and the rear corners are mashed as ussual but those only need to be close to straight as body armor will hide most blems there.

Overall the oportunity to change to a scrambler was just too appealing. 111!!!

And there went the budget on this one.

Lifted79CJ7
12-12-2004, 05:28 PM
So how is the project coming????? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Dusty
12-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Now Jack i cant devuldge all my secrets.....

http://community.webshots.com/user/ddestruel

Im kinda stuck in a holding pattern a friend of mine who i trust alot more than myself with a wrench is tinkering.... finishing up my 401 and the NV4500. soon as they are done we'll be putting them in until then im just toying around with fuel lines and finding a fuel tank. Finished up installing the dash, gauges mounting the computer to the dash and fitting everthing.... No Defrost :smile: no room, its going to take serious creativity, custom dash guy took it upon himself to move the speedo towards the middle instead of leaving it alone didnt feel like arguing.

havent been too motivated lately. But i still really want to figure out a coil link suspension for the front. so that its in place then tinker with the rear down the road when pocket book is bigger :t:

Working on 5 on 5.5 front brake conversion with in ternal hubs this week and next 111!!! Getting closer rain seems to slow things down

Mudrat
12-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Looking good!
I sorta went the other way ... I stretched an 8 so I could fit a CJ 7 top and still have the back open :-) Same color though :t:

http://members.cox.net/pa-adams/Posted%20online/Scrambler%203.jpg

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
12-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Dusty, Check out last months Ultimate Adventure Part 2 Wrap up - they had a write up on a YJ with a double shackled/leaf spring/4 link suspension. I've seen this type of setup before on a CJ (only had it in the rear) and it works really well. None of the cushy bounce of coil springs, but none of the wander of leaf spring due to the links. Plus lots of flex due to double shackles (one shackle at each end of each leaf spring). Let me know and I can copy it and mail you a copy (sorry-no scanner!).

Jack

PS - Mudrat, how did you get the hard top to fit over the railings of the tub? Did you just trim the corners?

Mudrat
12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
PS - Mudrat, how did you get the hard top to fit over the railings of the tub? Did you just trim the corners?
Yup - used to work on sailboats as a part time job 111!!!

Mud

Lifted79CJ7
12-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Mud, a couple other questions - how did yo seal between the hard top and floor? Did you use a regular CJ8 divider that one would use with stubby CJ8 hardtop? Also, how did you reinforce those walls? I would imagine that the door slamming would warp that over time (after the first two years of production AMC had to reinforce that wall on the 7). Have any interior pics?
Jack
(Still toying with the idea of stretching my 7 to look like a bobbed 8 this spring)

Mudrat
12-14-2004, 06:02 AM
Mud, a couple other questions - how did yo seal between the hard top and floor? Did you use a regular CJ8 divider that one would use with stubby CJ8 hardtop? Also, how did you reinforce those walls? I would imagine that the door slamming would warp that over time (after the first two years of production AMC had to reinforce that wall on the 7). Have any interior pics?
Jack
(Still toying with the idea of stretching my 7 to look like a bobbed 8 this spring)
Used the CJ8's back panel and grafted on the top section of a 7's corners and finished the the back panel with custom sheet metal from Jims body guy. We cut behind the 'B' pillar so I didn't do anything with the doors or door post.
If you rlooking to stretch yours you will need several things, first and formost is a big enough shop with a level floor, a pair of rails and 2 frame mounts for the front and back sections. And one hell of a sawsall! Then some channel or box iron the same size as your frame, a couple sheets of galvanized sheet metal (suggest 18 ga not the stock 16) a welder and some time. If you're not good with body work, a body guy that can cut , fit and smooth the body joints. The frame will be fairly well hidden, but needs to be strong.

Mudrat

eight
12-14-2004, 09:36 AM
So, you got any pics of that with the top on?

I've been thinkin of doin a simular thing. I want to stretch one, and make a crew cab out of it. Not sure what top I'd start with, probably CJ5, and then use CJ5 doors as the rears. I've also considered slicing it down the middle and widening it. Then it will receive a 6.5 chevy/hummer turbo diesel, a built 700R4, NP205, a skinny 14 bolt, narrowed D44HD front, and some 305s on truck style 16x8 wheels.

Mudrat
12-14-2004, 12:05 PM
I have no idea where all my old pics are. I think I was lucky to find those (over inthe readers rides section) I had a lot more of my M38A1 in the sand pits (one was when I was burried up to the top of the tires), My FJ-40 that I rolled and bunches more (Germany, Netherlands and other 'neat places) :smile:

Probably find them all when we move ...

Mudrat

Dusty
12-14-2004, 12:10 PM
So, you got any pics of that with the top on?

I've been thinkin of doin a simular thing. I want to stretch one, and make a crew cab out of it. Not sure what top I'd start with, probably CJ5, and then use CJ5 doors as the rears. I've also considered slicing it down the middle and widening it. Then it will receive a 6.5 chevy/hummer turbo diesel, a built 700R4, NP205, a skinny 14 bolt, narrowed D44HD front, and some 305s on truck style 16x8 wheels.

find a cj6 i recall seeing several cj6's that guys poped the insert out of and built a pilar to support the slamming door and body no problems. i also recall seeing an add in an old kaiser jeep catalog that described some type of crew cab like your talking and showed a picture of a cj6 built that way...........................

anything can be done if you have the know how. 111!!!

eight
12-20-2004, 12:46 AM
It'd end up having too short of a bed with a CJ6 tub. And I don't want CJ6 front doors. Friend of mine's scrapping his CJ5 in a year or so, said I can have the body if I want, hopefully he doesn't beat it too much more by then.

Dusty
01-17-2005, 12:37 PM
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/253254165bBKxRV
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/253254212wvOBHb
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/253254329kbNxQR

:?

http://community.webshots.com/album/197187802NyvokP/1

getting closer. motor is in, steering is attached brakes work. :?

:?

:(: jeep got its first "go fast award" and it wasnt even running, too bad the CHP was camera shy. Actually got popped for not having 4 seperate chains and binders tying the heep to the trailer (cali thing) if you have a goosneck or tractr trailer you only need two chains but on a low deck ball hitch you need 4 go figure. No seat belt, 70mph in a 55, improper tie downs, out of state drivers license (still a mt one) and a few other infractions including a busted taillight on trailer and an un leashed dog in the bed of the truck. if you're going to do it do it good, walked away with a warning on the speed and a fix it ticket for the drivers license and a little hour or so wait for my friend Ray to come rescue me with two extra chains and binders.

Of all things to shut me down for, ive hauled crap, heavy equiptment ect all over for years with two chains crossed and 3-4 binders on goosenecks and tractors and even slid a car trailer off a 4x4 road into the burrow pit and laid it on its side and didnt damage the car on the trailer nor break the chains never had or heard of anyone in any state outside of ca having a problem with two chains, but i wont complain this time, got off pretty cheap.

next finish the steering column, or replace install the hoses, accessories finish the engine compartment and start wiring, exhaust, and drivelines then fab a roll cage 111!!! .

Mudrat
01-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Looking good Dusty! You'l have a beast by summer time - Oh Wait!! You're in CA! It's always summer there isn't it :shock: J/K Hope the rain hasn't slowed you down too much.

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
01-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Man Dusty, that thing looks GREAT! I am truely green with envy! So what size axles are you running? That rear looks like a 60, although it could be a 44? That engine is a monster!!

Mudrat
01-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Man Dusty, that thing looks GREAT! I am truely green with envy! So what size axles are you running? That rear looks like a 60, although it could be a 44? That engine is a monster!!
That's what yours will look like if you ever start working on it again silly - without the fenders in place of course.

Mudrat

Dusty
01-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Pat i got those fame mount dug out for you now i just need to slow down and mail em.

Thanks Jack, its getting there only took 3 years. Dana 60 rear, 35 spline 4.88's and a TIGHT power lok. Dana 44 front superior alloys and ox joints power Lok til i get the money for a selectable locker Eaton Elocker but thats not exactly high on the budget priority list, the broken tilt column is next :wink:

Havent painted the front clip yet waiting till i finish bolting things on before i do that.

D

Lifted79CJ7
01-17-2005, 04:40 PM
So are you running a semi float? Where you able to keep the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, or did you switch over to 8 lug? Hmm, I just might turn some wrenches tonight.
Jack
(Just ordered some body parts and thinking about stretchin the 7 still)

Dusty
01-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Used a 1967 F100 dana 60 which comes 5 on 5.5 but as a 30 spline use a small bearing and the brake parts are a pain to get so I cut the ends off and welded on the ford 9" big bearing ends used ford F-150 drum brakes. Semi float Dutchman axle shafts semi float, pressed on green bearings, for exactly the reason you said, to keep my 5 on 5.5.

Good enough i thinks cause 36's are probably as big as i'll go, if i ever go that big :oops:

The 4.88's seemed about right with 35's and the OD in the tranny, should be snappy.

FYI im also running my old dodge diesel nv4500 that i grenaded (now it has a new short input and the smaller splined output) and a Dana 300 t-case, the only two mods to it are the extended input and clocking ring and a HD tail housing with 1310 yoke and 1310 at the D60.

If i had it to do over again and the CASH i would have bought an Atlas like the one with the NV4500 on pirates page for 2500 bellhousing, tranny and t-case but the budget blues do slow ya down.

Mudrat
01-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Pat i got those fame mount dug out for you now i just need to slow down and mail em.

D
Thanks Dusty.

Pat

Dusty
01-24-2005, 11:06 AM
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/258737391lAxBly
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/258737280wUDOXY
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/258737249eWNyDd

Clutch, flywheel, starter, bellhousing, tomken fuel tank, fuel injection lines fuel pump and filter, shackles, and accessories all hung ... alternator which i will replace and the PS pump which im getting a new one. One header is almost on, a warning to those with edelbrock heads get their headers, my doug thorley flanges have clearance issues with the head bolts i have had to grind a substantial amount off of them.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/258737345ULBSfu

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/258737417uErVdA

I used CJ rear 4.5" RE springs (42 or 43" eye to eye) in the front and rear shackle hangers in front which are a little shorter than normal fronts but are the right width, my dilema will probably be visable int he tie rod picture its looking like the tie rod will hit the steering arm and drag link. :oops: so im thinking either mover the rear hanger back a scosh or go to a longer spring (Wrangler RE 4.5 44 or 44.5" eye to eye) and move the rear hanger back accordingly. reason being i cant move the front shackle hanger any further back because of steering box bracket issues and dont want to move the box forward for the same reason as it currently right up aginst the shackle hanger eye. so my only answer is bringing things a little further back with hopes of getting the axle back but without scewing up the shackle geometery. 111!!!

Any thoughts, granted the tranny and t-case arent in so all the weight isnt on the system yet and that weight could probably help flatten things out a little more.

figured id give you an update after another busy weekend. :? :t:

Mudrat
01-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Man that looks good Dusty :t: ... but ... ummm ..I hate to be the one to break this to ya, but somebody stole your trany/transfer case when you weren't look'n :shock:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/258737431/258737431JfeXOR

:? :? :? :?

mudrat :mrgreen:

Penguin
01-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Man that looks good Dusty :t: ... but ... ummm ..I hate to be the one to break this to ya, but somebody stole your trany/transfer case when you weren't look'n :shock:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/258737431/258737431JfeXOR

:? :? :? :?

mudrat :mrgreen:

I hate that when that happens, go out to start the ride, try to drive away......Dang theives stole the tranny/transfer.... :mrgreen:

Dusty
01-24-2005, 03:39 PM
:shock: :shock:

Thats not right WTF, wait a minute i thought in my flurry of activity that thing was supposed to put itself in there.

:?: :wink:

You just wait as soon as jim gets the 3rd gear shift ring turned back around and puts the tranny back together i Gaurantee you she'll be in there along with the T-case cause i finished the t-case before the 1st of the year no 4:! but a HD tail housing and, clocking ring and extended input, the sooner the better cause i still got alot of work ahead of me if this thing is to run the trails this year. and the sooner that tranny is in the sooner i can start clearancing things and making sure everything works. alot of custom stuff in this one

Mudrat
01-24-2005, 04:59 PM
:shock: :shock:

Thats not right WTF, wait a minute i thought in my flurry of activity that thing was supposed to put itself in there.
:?: :wink:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Man if THAT were only true!!! :shock:

Mudrat :?

Dusty
01-25-2005, 04:39 PM
A few better shots the otehr day i was in a hurry to snap 2 and go.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/259776304gZXFjS

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/259776480ZIVamn
1 3/4" at the bottom 2 3/4" clearance at the top expecting when the tranny is in to lift the engine a little from the rear probably finish at 2" bottom maybe a hair more from the fan

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/259776599fOsPYh

guess i'll start hooking up hoses alternator and belts then i'll step back and start on the :!: wiring :-| and hanging it appropriately, still waiting on steering column to get fixed so i guess in the mean while i should clean things up under there.

Mudrat
01-25-2005, 05:17 PM
A few better shots the other day i was in a hurry to snap 2 and go.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/259776304gZXFjS
and
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/259776599fOsPYh

You have AC in that thing?? Or is the York for LP air??
And ...um... you'd best catch the beotch that ran off with your tranny, cause they took the radiator cap too :!: And I see (almost) 5 fingers so the build couln't have been that bad :t:

Mudrat :lo1l:

Looking sweet.

Dusty
01-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I will have AC someday, i have all the under dash stuff and a condensor but i would like MC to make a bracket that bolts to the side of the YORK and allows you bolt a second AC compressor be it YORK or another style and the necessary belts to make it work. right now on board air is more important. :oops: Plus i figure i'll suffer through this year without AC as i will probably be in and out of the dash too many timesfixing my mess ups. dam i need to get that thing into a garage (if i had one) this working on it under a tarp, in the rain and on the trailer to stay out of the gravel driveway is getting tough and then some sticky fingered little gremlin keeps stealing my parts. :(:

I tried to hack and smash a couple off a little duck tape or super glue and they just keep growing back and working again :mrgreen: more next weekend, gotta go to spokane washington this weekend and drive back doubt i'll get much more done, though i have been successfully using the headlights of my truck and a flashlight to get alot dont on the bugger

John N
01-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Dusty...What type valve covers are those?

Lifted79CJ7
01-25-2005, 09:09 PM
What, no chrome or nickle plated waterneck on your intake???? 8)

Dusty
01-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Herman Lewis

get em through payton performance, they are taller also

rollbar
02-24-2005, 09:29 PM
So how is the project coming????? Inquiring minds want to know!!

What he said. :t:

Dusty
02-25-2005, 10:40 AM
:(: Parade got rained on.

Its now over in Sacramento at (bulltear member) Ray's house in his shed. Was told to get it off the property that i am staying on till it runs. As it sits. Still waiting for Jim to finish reassembly of Tranny. Underhood wiring still left to do. Then im going to have to Beg and plead with the friends to have a bolt tightening party. Checking over everything from one end to the other. Since Sac is 90 miles away not exactly easy to continue slowly tightening things on it.

I'm going to provide the Beer and Food Saturday and Sunday on two seperate weekends and hope that 3 or 4 sets of eyes can catch my nighttime/ flashlight assembly goof ups. #-o I hate when teh wind gets knocked out of your sails when you're so close, but gotta keep the landlord happy. Im still slowly gaining ground. Thanks i will keep posted but for now im probably three or four weeks without any progress. :smile:

Dusty
05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Jack sorry i guess i should finally say something.. :lo1l:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/352387644EzIHUk a little trimming to make the twin sticks clear and also for easy access, nothing a boot wont hide

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/352387661CqJxZq

im fighting the twin sticks and the slope of the engine and tranny, the tranny tappers down from front to rear a fair amount because of the t-case coming close to the body like within 3/4 of an in all around. This is where i was thinking with a 1" body lift i could swing the t-case a little higher and get the engine, t-case and tranny to all level out a little more.

here is how she sits in the dog house
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/352387672vqPGoTdont worry about the bend it straightened right outand had no impact on the tranny nor clearance.

:idea:
Shes getting closer. hope to haul it back to SR this friday build cross member, re weld the twin sticks, drivelines and do exhaust over the next 2 weeks, then hammer out the roll cage and fix the seat brackets.

Dusty

pyagid
05-24-2005, 10:37 AM
none of the links work for me :dontknow:

Dusty
05-24-2005, 10:44 AM
typo on my part on all three got er now :sa:

Lifted79CJ7
05-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Well that thing is really coming along! I can't wait to move to Hotlanta, find a place and work on my Jeep some more. I will finally make enough dough to actually spend a little here and there on her!

Mudrat
05-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Took a look at all the pics tonight Dusty - look'n REAL sweet! But you can't wait to hop in and scratch that paint job :?

Pat

Dusty
05-31-2005, 03:04 PM
man you aint kidding.

Drivelines being cut up today will have em back on friday.

Unfortunately i need to do a fwew other things.... im yanking the tranny's 5spd and 6spd from both of my dodges and swapping them and then putting a HP clutch in with the 6spd and putting the 5spd and clutch into the other truck so i can sell it, so this weekend is busy........SO i think the Driveline install will be about the extent of my labor unless i get ambitious and get the 1" body lift in and then get the jeep down for the exhaust to be installed.

Im going with a Y pipe and then single 3" running down the driverside inside of the frame rail.

I got the crossmember done on Friday night pretty simple sits flush good clearance supprisingly for the size of the tranny.

Also revamped the fuel injection pump and fuel lines setup. I am now running a Holley Blue pump (14 PSI i think was the spec) that lifts the fuel from the tank through and filter and then pumps it into a manifold. The manifold also interacts with the return fuel lines from the motor. Dont Know ..... But Frank from Edelbrock said it was on his red CJ before it got stolen and it helped via keeing the volume of fuel in a resevor (manifold) for the pressure pump to draw from without it having to suck fuel up and out of the tank as it is not a suction pump just a pressure pump, the Blue pump should be a good canidate for suction, pushing the volume of fuel infront of the manifold and circulation of the fuel up to the maifold... all of this is mounted from the rear forward spring hanger forward and is fairly long but fits nicely. I am thinking that i might Fab a piece of Angle iron onto the outside and under the frame rail and sticking out 2 or 3" to the inside of the frame rail to gaurd against anything kicking up and smacking the inside of the frame rails and potentially dmaging the pumps.

The manifold, Edelbrock pressure pump and the holley Blue are all tied together through fittings looks clean i'll post pictures after i get it and my "security festures" wired into the system so it looks clean and is not just a bunch of wires hanging out.

Once the body lift goes on we will be cutting the tabs on the fuel cell/ tank and then jacking it up and re-welding the tabs or a piece of angle iron onto the tank and redriling the mounting holes should net an addtional 1-1/2" clearance wishful thinking i might gain a hair more and get her close to 2" higher.

Mudrat
05-31-2005, 03:27 PM
man you aint kidding.

Also revamped the fuel injection pump and fuel lines setup. I am now running a Holley Blue pump (14 PSI i think was the spec) that lifts the fuel from the tank through and filter and then pumps it into a manifold. The manifold also interacts with the return fuel lines from the motor. Dont Know Frank from Edelbrock said it was on his red CJ before it got stolen and it helped via keeing the volume of fuel in a resevor (manifold) for the pressure pump to draw from without it having to suck fuel up and out of the tank as it is not a suction pump just a pressure pump, the Blue pump should be a good canidate for suction, pushing the volume of fuel infront of the manifold and circulation of the fuel up to the maifold... all of this is mounted from the rear forward spring hanger forward and is fairly long but fits nicely. I am thinking that i might Fab a piece of Angle iron onto the outside and under the frame rail and sticking out 2 or 3" to the inside of the frame rail to gaurd against anything kicking up and smacking the inside of the frame rails and potentially dmaging the pumps.

The manifold, Edelbrock pressure pump and the holley Blue are all tied together through fittings looks clean i'll post pictures after i get it and my "security festures" wired into the system so it looks clean and is not just a bunch of wires hanging out.
Be curious to see the plumbing diagram too .. Sounds like your going to have a heck of Jeep when you get done :t:

Dusty
06-03-2005, 09:54 AM
KISS..........

sometimes i wonder about keeping it simple ....

i think this setup is about as simple and sevicable as i can setup, external pumps are easy to replace. VS if an intank pump has a problem

Sorry for the cruddy photo the sunlight just was making life tuff
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/360235616llnBgL

top left line is return from engine center left line is attached to the Edelbrock EFI Pressure pump Top right line returns to the tank Bottom right line is input from Holley blue pump above the blue pump is the fuel filter

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/360235637burDwf

Blue pump on right of manifold and is attached manifold in the middleand attached on the left Pressure pump

Tranny crossmember mock up and clearance photos
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/360235543FABdAg
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/360235543FABdAg

open tio some suggestions on cleaning it up some was thing about tapering and gringin on the angle iron i used of the frame support otherwise next step is having a skid plate broke up to go unde rthe tranny.

going to do a single 3" exhaust with the cross over going right under the bellhousing and between teh tranny and bell, there apears to be enough room without it hanging down below the bell and then all my ehaust has pleanty of room on the driverside frame rail

Dusty
06-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Fairly productive weekend.

Swapped the 5spd out of my 98 dodge diesel and into my 2002 dodge diesel put a new clutch in. took the 6pd out of the 2002 dodge and am waiting for the clutch, replaced rear mainon 98 dodge. did a few otehr minor tune up items so i can sell the 2002

With the jeep:
Crossmember welded, axles welded, dual battery tray in, drivelines installed, wiring started, started at least getting things dialed in turns over when the key is turned. Body lift is in also

Potentially goes in for exhaust this week. things are tight with the header and the front driveline :(: oh well about 3/4" side movement and ill have some form of contact between the driveline tube and the header flange.

Lifted79CJ7
06-06-2005, 03:55 PM
So are you putting the 6 speed in the 98?

Dusty
06-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Yep and it bolts and plugs right in.... 98 12valve married to a 6spd is an ideal towing marriage compared to the 5spd which has a horrible split between 3rd and direct. there are a few minor differences nothing that wasnt easily addressed since both trucks have the same wheelbase, interior crossmembers ect. Funny the 98 was all setup even with the longer reverse switch plug and holes in the cross member for the 6 spd but dodge delayed its release for two more years (production delays). Rumor has it that Dodge produced a few factory 12v's with 6spd's for thier towing crew and they are out there.

Plus the 6spd needed a clutch bad and it was delayed by shipping and i needed a vehicle to stay running and the 12valve needs the rear main done before i can drive it anyfurther so it was a oportunity to address both problems and keep one on the road.

On top of the 6spd having the perfect 600 rpm split between gears, it is rated for upwards of 600 ft/lbs torque, my last one lived for 400k miles 300k of which was towing 20-30k lbs at 750-800ft/lbs torque most of the time and through montana, so im kinda sold on em.

I just felt like throwing that info out there since i felt like it was a good excuse for delaying some work on the heep

Mudrat
06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a reasonable plan! And it seems to be woring for ya at that :?

Jack - glad you made it to Hotlants - now change your sig 8) !!

Mudrat

Dusty
06-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I need a Beer after this weekend..........

Whats next...... finish wiring, soder and shrink wrap.... loom & tie everything up.....drink a beer or 30 then change out the dash with the new dash :(: ....the one that has the right location for the speedo for clearing the defrost duct, while im at it take the heater ducts back out one last time, install the bigger heater blower motor and silicone up everything. Sand prime and Paint the Hood and fenders. Drill and attatch fender flares.

cut mounts on fuel tank, lift fuel tank 2 1/2 -3 " re-weld mounts.

Install Bakini top

install 1/2 doors

weld on shock mounts to axles order shocks and install.

Install hubs

Check all bolts on suspension and frame.

Install batteries........haul back to Placerville fill tank test & fire. probably missed 1 or 5 things in there but im getting really excited

Lifted79CJ7
06-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Is that all you have left to do this weekend??? Slacker! 8) I tell you what - I hope I get to stay here in Atlanta and can find a decent place to live with a garage - cause there is plenty of wheeling close by!

Dusty
06-07-2005, 02:30 PM
If only i had a garage then things would really be happening. This gravel driveway crap and plywood floor for rolling jacks around on is really getting tufff especially with 500 lbs of 6spd and t-case

Dusty
06-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok mud Rat here is the picture of the fuel pumps and the manifold
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/365353180cmbjnV
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/365353216IPasPn

Here is a pictue of pinion angle and driveline angle right now
http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/365353142wJtbFB

As the underhood comes together heres a loose picturwe of a few wires still hanging and some details yet to be tended to

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197187802/365353249qXuFFx

Battery is just in there to fab things up still is a floater and i was still testing wires

Dusty
06-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Wiring Done. all wires are sodered and shrik wrapped and all wires are loomed and clipped to the firewall and fenders etc. Under hood is complete.
1 wire remains hanging out waiting for the tack.

Need two batteries

Under the jeep
Driveline angles are set, jeep is at an alignment shop on a rack today. they are double checking my measurements and for $300 its hard to be an alignment and having your axles welded onto the perches with a garuntee that things are straight.

Underside:
Need to weld on shock mounts to axles and order up parking brake cables.
Build skid plate #-o

Inside the tub three loose wires exist int he cab 2 are for the stereo 1 is the power for the tack Seats are bolted in needs a gas pedal attaqched to the assembly and need to finish welding up the twin stick shifters and a tranny floor pan. Need the bracket for teh brake light switch since the switch is hanging out loose.

Need the front hoop and to finish a cage. but that can wait till after she builds a flame.

Gotta finish a rear bumper and wire in the taillights i'll do a tire carrier as things progress.

3rd of July is the Date set for the test firing =D> Wish me luck i see the light at the end of the tunnel

After we get it running i will sand the hood and fenders and paint them...........AFTER EVERYONE IS DONE HANGING OVER MY FENDERS

Mudrat
06-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Wiring Done.
3rd of July is the Date set for the test firing =D> Wish me luck i see the light at the end of the tunnel

LUCK!!
Just make sure the light you see in the tunnel isn't a train coming at ya!!! :shock:

Mud

Dusty
06-29-2005, 03:18 PM
I hear something im just not sure what it is either the victory whistle or its the afternoon express guess i'll figure it out as the noise gets louder later.

:lo1l:

tell you what if she roars to life without hold up on saturday night its on, im tapping into a keg and then the drinks are on me that night

Mudrat
06-29-2005, 04:48 PM
I hear something im just not sure what it is either the victory whistle or its the afternoon express guess i'll figure it out as the noise gets louder later. :lo1l:

tell you what if she roars to life without hold up on saturday night its on, im tapping into a keg and then the drinks are on me that night
Ohhh SUUUrrrre NOW you say that!!! I left San Diego last week :smile: Even Rollen blew me off and went home for the weekend :smile: :smile: So I just HAD to go wine tasting in Temecula :t: :razz: :t:

Pat :wink:

Dusty
06-29-2005, 04:54 PM
You just had to go wine tasting......and what kind of whine tasting was that? can i offer you and cheeze with that whine. ...... Temecula jeesh a long ways away from the Upity up reds we have here in Sonoma and Mendocino counties........but then again im a Zinner by choice.

Hop a plane and get back out to Sac :roll: the Beer...Booze is on me if this sucker actually runs without serious hickups. :shock: Party is in Placerville Saturday night im tellin ya 4 dudes and a keg and it will be dry

cant believe Rollen bailed on you jeesh. :?

Dusty
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
yeah it was the train. had a computer glitch needed a different chip to get it to fire. will attempt again in a few weeks maybe the first of August, my next free weekend :?

Mudrat
07-20-2005, 03:48 PM
yeah it was the train. had a computer glitch needed a different chip to get it to fire. will attempt again in a few weeks maybe the first of August, my next free weekend :?
HA!!! Glad I didn't buy a ticket for THAT one :shock: :wink: And just remember - NOTHING is free :roll:

So what was the issue with the chip? Wrong motor, emissions ... ???? :smile:

Good LUCK!!again :t:

Pat
Don't forget to vote - we dropped to #20 again ...

Dusty
07-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Still made good on not letting the beer go to waste :lo1l:

Yep wrong E Prom chip injector firing order was off, and no signal to distributor, got the new chip now i have signal, just no time to spend three hours mulling over everything to make sure its all ready. God i hope i dont have to battle emissions on this one, its what you could call a gross polluter no mater what you do to try and help clean it up.

Its free from demands by others :t:

Might get to it sooner, doubt it though.

Mudrat
07-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Still made good on not letting the beer go to waste :lo1l:

Its free from demands by others :t:

Might get to it sooner, doubt it though.

Kinda sorta in the same boat right now - I'm in Charleston, SC - not letting the beer go to waste (or the Wasabi peas) - can't get to my Jeeps for a few more days - but I have 3-4-5 other people digging for my time :roll:

Pat

Dusty
07-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Its ALIVE ITS ALIVE boohoohaha Kinda....... I got a fuel pump issue i need to work out yet like low pressure 35-39 psi when i need 45-50. this is chapping my A$$ because its a pain to keep it running and the problem is becoming more every time i fire it up. #-o but the big hurdle was getting it to fire up

Bulltear Ad