PDA

View Full Version : gansta lean

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

psycholist69
08-24-2004, 05:17 PM
I have a 74 cj5 with a little bit of the ghetto in it, I guess :-| The passenger side in the rear is about 3" lower than the driver's side. I have new springs but have some doubts about the frame's worth. I have started a on/ off restoration with this (as much as possible with a DD) and have already rebuilt the 304, rewired (painless), new radiator, rebuilt front and rear dana's(44,30) with 4.56 and lockers. new coil over shocks, rebuilt brakes with stainless lines, and during all of this have found 3 cracks in the frame! Well this last week the front passenger shackle mount completely pulled out of the frame, no wait it took the 2 inch square of frame with it!! So now I finally have the time and money...OK the time to tear into this when I am going to put a 4 sp T176 and D300 in, but wonder if I should fix the frame and save up some more or try to put a new frame under it now...well in 6 months when I can afford a frame!! 8) :(: But is the lean common with the 5's w/V8's from torque or did the former owner maybe have a thing for the BIG girls? :razz:
I kind of got off topic, but if you alll have any suggestions let me know, or if you know of a used frame in good shapein the midwest (kansas city) let me know! I hope to have the tranny and t-case next month and am also getting the knuckle out from a 80 cj with the same front axle, but with discs to switch over to some control stops, and not bear down, red faced, leg shaking from pushing, stops! [-o<
Alright with all that said feel free to respond any thing you feel inclined to share!!!!

cheapjeep
08-24-2004, 09:12 PM
My 76 Cj5 with a 304 sits pretty level. I put on a rancho 2 1/2in lift about 5 years ago, but it did not lean with the stock springs :-|

Lifted79CJ7
08-25-2004, 11:00 AM
To sum it up most CJ frames are rusted to crap. Finding a good one is crutial, but you should be OK trying to find a 5 frame, its the 7 frames that people have trouble finding. 8 frames are even harder.

Bulltear Ad