PDA

View Full Version : 360 Oil pickup tubes

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Goose
08-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Oh learned ones help me!! I found the problem with the oiling on my 360,
After much studying poking and prodding.. The oil pickup tube in the pan is plugged!! Or actually the screen is With silicone!! So now the question is how in the heck do I get this thing apart to clean it out?? It has the plate across the bottom with the oval hole in it and I cant seem to get anything apart..
(Why oh why didnt I just put that 400 chevy in this thing when I had it!! Kidding just kidding!)

tufcj
08-28-2004, 08:46 PM
They don't come apart, they're welded together at the factory. Use lots of solvent and compressed air to try to clean yours. They are available in repro (try www.oldcarparts.com) or at the dealer. There is also a nylon botton attached to the bottom of the pickup. I've seen a couple of engines put together without them, and the pickup ends up too close to the bottom of the pan, and the engine starves for oil.

Bob.
tufcj

Goose
08-29-2004, 11:01 AM
:!: Nylon button..Uh oh, There was no nylon button on this one either..Any ideas on where to get one of these?

The other thing I need to figure out is what is the stock bore on a 360? I seem to remember 4.080 if so this one is 4.140 thats .060 over isnt it?

Oh and what Cubic inch is a 360 bored .060 ??

Thanks for all your help you folks are heros!!

73hornut
08-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Throw that nylon plug in the garbage, It's worthless! Braze a 1/4in thick nut to the bottom of the pickup tube where the hole is for the nylon plug. No more plug falling out.

tufcj
08-29-2004, 09:30 PM
The 1/4 nut would work too. Doesn't matter what's there, just as long as there's something to space the pickup off the bottom of the pan.

Stock bore on a 360 is 4.080", so you are .060" over. Each .030" adds about 5-6 CI, so your 360 is about a 370 now.

Good luck.

Bob
tufcj

Goose
08-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the help.. And since I had a major D/A attack and didnt even see the forum for oiling (doohhh!) my apologies for being in the wrong place with the wrong question.....errrr is that right questions wrong...place??? errrrr nevermind ! 111!!!

pyagid
08-30-2004, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the help.. And since I had a major D/A attack and didnt even see the forum for oiling (doohhh!) my apologies for being in the wrong place with the wrong question.....errrr is that right questions wrong...place??? errrrr nevermind ! 111!!!

It kind of applies to both forums. SO it is all good right here :idea:

Bulltear Ad