PDA

View Full Version : advancing cam?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

BRAD ARTHUR
08-30-2004, 10:05 PM
could i advance my cam for more torque? i am running an edelbrock performer intake , edl 600 carb, edl cam, stock manifolds, hei , t 18 4spd. w/ 3.54 gears. rarely see much over 4000rpms. in a cj7 that i plow snow with and use as a daily driver. can i get more torque , and what would i loose by advancing it . i am goin to use the edl timing set w/ 4deg retard, 0 , 4deg advance key ways. has any one done this or suggest it . just curious.
also could i switch rockers to a 1.7:1 ratio. and what would i use?

jeepsr4ever
08-31-2004, 06:48 AM
I would go with 4 degrees advanced, this will give oyu a little more power out of that camshaft...still sorry you switched cams?

tufcj
08-31-2004, 07:54 AM
I believe Edelbrock recommends that the cam be installed at 0. I run my Edelbrock at 0, and it has plenty of low end torque.

I had a Crane cam in my 360 before I rebuilt it, ran it advanced 4 degrees. For some reason, I had problems with HUGE buildups of carbon on the exhaust valves. It hasn't come back since I installed the new cam.

Bob.
tufcj

BRAD ARTHUR
08-31-2004, 07:58 PM
yea that summit cam still seemed to have more power all the way through. campared to the edelbrock performer. and for others to know i ran both cams back to back in same eng. 304 summit was noticable betterperformance. and for summit quality just check your oiling holes and passages on any cam you install. my edelbrock and summit 8600 both only had one relief hole in the rear. who else is running an edelbrock cam what setup do you run? timing ,carb ,trans ,gears ......?

tufcj
08-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Mine's running in a 360. I have the performer cam, lifters, and springs. It has an Edelbrock roller timing set with the cam set at 0, and verified with a degree wheel. I also have a Performer manifold with Howell EFI. The heads are 1970 291C castings that have been ported and gasket matched. Pistons and bore are stock, but with the heads it's 8.75 or 9:1 compression. Mallory Unilite distributor, running at 10 degrees initial, and 38 degrees total, all in by 3000 RPM. It runs thru factory manifolds and a single 3" exhaust. With a T-18, dana 300, and 4.27 gears, detroit lockers in both axles, it will sit at idle and spin all 4 if it can't find traction.

I recently went to 37" MT/Rs, and the gearing isn't enough (about 70:1 in low-low), so I have a set of 4.88s waiting install (for about 80:1).

Bob.
tufcj

BRAD ARTHUR
09-01-2004, 11:27 AM
ok thanks for the infojust need to fix my distr.gear wear problem so i can put some miles on it and get it tuned in. but thanks for your info that should help me out!

BobnJeep
02-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I had a friend put CompCam lifters and cam, Edlebrock Performer Manifold, Jacobs Offroad Ignition, and Road Demon 650 Carb on my '80 Wagoneer 360. We have trouble with flooding and backfiring so I went to a "performance Shop" to rejet the carb. They found out that I had 2 cylinders with low compression, so they wouldn't work on the carb. So now I'm looking for a set of heads :(: Anyway, it ran fine before the upper rebuild and I was wondering if maybe someone here thought the cam was too far advanced, or possibly something else my mechanic friend overlooked.
I hate to see it just sitting there! I want it running again 111!!!

Bulltear Ad