PDA

View Full Version : air intake

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

cj5steve
09-03-2004, 11:19 AM
what does everybody do to suck in dry air.2 weeks ago i ran a mudbog on saturday and then another on sunday.when all was said and done,my carb was filthy had to completly take it apart and clean it.i am running the stock closed air box,with the hose to the grill.i am going to the junkyard tommorrow morning to try and find somthing better.if that doesnt work i am going to make somthing maybe some kind of snorkel.lets hear what you got. :-|

Mudrat
09-05-2004, 07:26 AM
I'm vulterable right now. http://members.cox.net/mudrat/85%20CJ/CJ-7%20Nut-2.JPG
But I have an ARB snorkle for a YJ to install (now that I didn't win the 401 :smile: ) My problem is getting an airbox to fit the Webber.
SOMEBODY told me to send a foot print or drawing for the carb flange gasket and he would make me something, but that's the same guy I got the bling-bling aircleaner nut from :shock: :?

Mudrat

cj5steve
09-06-2004, 08:40 AM
i went to the junkyard on saturday and i found a aircleaner assembly off of a 89 cadillac(sp?).it fits over the carb nice after a little dremel work.the air box is huge but i think i can fit it from there i am going to run some kind of flexible hose and make a snorkel out of pcv pipe.what keeps the rain water out of a real production type of snorkel. :lo1l:

Mudrat
09-06-2004, 11:32 AM
i went to the junkyard on saturday and i found a aircleaner assembly off of a 89 cadillac(sp?).it fits over the carb nice after a little dremel work.the air box is huge but i think i can fit it from there i am going to run some kind of flexible hose and make a snorkel out of pcv pipe.what keeps the rain water out of a real production type of snorkel. :lo1l:
The head piece. [click the pic}

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/snork1.jpg (http://www.rocky-road.com/snorkel.html)

You can make something like that with a 90 degree elbow and a drain grate. Some leave it facing forward for a ram air deal, others turn them backwards to keep the bugs, dust and rain out better.

Mudrat

cj5steve
09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
i just went out on saturday and sucked abunch of water.today i ran my air thought the fire wall.behind the dash i hope it will work good.are there not to many mud heads.i cant get enought !!! ! ! !! ! !!! :razz:

Lifted79CJ7
09-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Some leave it facing forward for a ram air deal, others turn them backwards to keep the bugs, dust and rain out better.

Hmm, never thought about that rain part. I would imagine that could cause a couple issues.

Toy Maker
09-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Once upon a time, long ago and far away, I took a large stock chebby air cleaner, braized a peanut can to the side of it, and ran drier hose to the firewall to a flange of thin aluminum. Eliminated the water injestion problem from splash. When running, the air intake through the firewall did add circulation to the air in the passenger area, and fuel fumes never seamed to be a problem. I am now running a little more lift, 14" open element air cleaner with an Amsoil air filter element. The oiled element repells most casual splash, and does a excellent job of filtration. I also am carefull of the depth of water traversed. Love mud, not a fan of deep water.
Without sufficient lift and big enough tires, the air cleaner becomes critical as the depth of "normal" areas excedes the fan blade height, which act as a pump for water. First stop, air filter. Also, the stock fresh air inlet through the grill channels cool ait into the engine, however it chanels water from the grill area also, especialy when hitting water hard enough to splash it onto the front of the grill. Removing the hose from the grill flange and turning it to face backwards, tie wrap it to the strut rod that supports the grill to the firewall will give a quick, no budget reduction in water entry. While this is no eplacement for a real snorkle, it will get you through better than nothing.

Mudrat
09-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Nice quick tips Tom, this is what I have to box in ... :shock:
http://members.cox.net/mudrat/85%20CJ/CJ-7%20Nut-2.JPG

Pat

cj5steve
09-09-2004, 01:15 AM
i ran about 7"total lift,36"swampers,and a k&n filter inside a enclosed housing with a hose off to under the headlight in the grill.the only thing that has changed is the intake under the dash.i think that is high enough to do some boggin.hopefully.

amc258
09-23-2004, 09:23 PM
I go to the local thrift store, buy up all the old gymsocks I find, and slip them over the mouth of my air cleaner, it isn't perfect, but keeps the moisture to managable levels. After passing through the sloppiest of mud, my filter is only slightly damp, but I have to change the socks often. :lo1l:

Mudrat
09-26-2004, 05:06 PM
I go to the local thrift store, buy up all the old gymsocks I find, and slip them over the mouth of my air cleaner, it isn't perfect, :lo1l:
Guess it's good engines can't "smell" !!! :shock:

mudrat

amc258
09-27-2004, 06:05 PM
They're clean when I get em, but they don't stay that way 111!!!

Bulltear Ad