Bulltear Ad

Whitelighting
09-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Trailbst, I have a Dana 20 twin stick transfer case that I would
like to convert to an 18, can you tell me what's needed. In regards
to the PTO/OD adapter, Herm is the same name I have. I appreciate
the info about the Holbrook Long Leaf Springs. My Jeep has 10
leaf spring packs that are very stiff, it rides like a wheel barrel. Have
you talked to anyone that has run the Holbrook Long Leaf Springs ?
As I get into the winch installation I might call on you for help, thanks
for the offer.

Yes, I have one of the rare 70/71's with a stock V-6 and T-18 trans.
I bought it used in late 71.

Kent

Trailbst
09-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Kent, why waste time converting a D20 to a D18, just buy the nose piece and convert your existing D18 to a twin stick. Here is a shop in Oregon that does lots of D18 stuff. R&P 4WD Parts, Inc. (http://www.r-p4wd.com/site/index.htm) My dad met the guys and said they do lots of cool stuff. Or check with Herm, he might have what you want.

I know, supposedly the D20 is stronger, but you will have to have it milled to accept the D18 gears.

I haven't talked with anyone that is running the Holbrook long leafs. I did call them directly and talk with one of the guys. They are a bolt in for our Jeeps. They are manufacturing a 1 3/4 spring for our Jeeps. Just have to measure and then weld up the new spring hangers on the frame. About 2.5-3" of lift, lots of flex and a smoother ride. Maybe I will have to get a set and tell you about them. :t: I don't want much more lift than 2.5-3" I will run longer bumpstops and limit uptravel, to keep my Center of Gravity lower. I'll have to take some more pics of the P.O.S. and post them.

Post some pics of yours. :t:

Erik

Trailbst
09-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Another thought just came to mind, since I don't have the info you need for the D20 to D18 conversion. Have you been to www.EarlyCJ5.com (http://www.earlycj5.com) There is an overwhelming wealth of knowledge on that site.

HTH

Erik

Whitelighting
09-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Trailbst, thanks for the info.

Kent

thigh19
09-11-2004, 05:09 PM
The d20 case with 18 guts is a simple cheap swap. all the parts are interchangeable and it takes about 30 minutes.
as far as the springs go, they're just early Jeepster front springs.

Trailbst
09-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Early Jeepster springs are 12"s longer from the axle to the frame mount, than the CJs??

Erik

thigh19
09-11-2004, 11:46 PM
I think same from front to pin, longer in back. Switch them arround for the rear.

Bulltear Ad