PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt 360 initial startup questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

TommyD
09-08-2004, 11:27 AM
I have read a bunch of articles concerning strating up a newly rebuild engine and I have a couple of questions.

First of all, should I remove the vacuum advance on the distributor?

And what would be the suggested timing at 2000 rpm?

tolobill
01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
hey how you doing, new to this forum i live in lawrenceville too. i am currently building a 360 for my 80 cj7 maybe we could get together and compare notes.

tufcj
01-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Before you stab the distributor, spin the oil pump and bring up pressure till you see oil at the rocker arms. Set the distributor as close as you can get it to avoid a lot of cranking before it starts. You can leave the vacuum advance disconnected during the first run. Once its started, set the initial timing (6-10 degress BTDC), it doesn't have to be exact. If you have a new cam, get it up to 2000 RPM ASAP after startup. Leave it at 2000, rev it occasionally, for 20 minutes (this seats the lifters into the cam, it's not required if you didn't replace the cam). Bring it down to normal idle, re-check the timing. Once it's cooled a bit, shut it off and change the oil and filter (this gets all the assembly lubes out). Drive pretty much normally, no high revving or extended periods at a steady RPM for the first 500 miles. Change oil and filter again, and have fun.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad