PDA

View Full Version : 343 in a jeep build..

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepmonster
09-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Howdy! I am building a 343 in a jeep, it's never been apart and we found a sleeve in one of the lifter bores from the factory. Have you ever seen this done before? Lifters fit fine. Also we are boring this 343 .030 over with new cast high compression pistons, how much power if any is the .030 overbore worth, we are also installing aluminum heads?
Steve

jeepsr4ever
09-08-2004, 06:36 PM
you can easily hit the 310-345hp mark with that combo, I would run a better intake and carb...with the right cam you could even hit the high 300's to very low 400hp mark. The 343 is a extremely good power builder and runs right along the 401 for building low end grunt!!

Al Johnson
09-08-2004, 08:57 PM
This is just a personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I wouldn't bore an engine oversize just to gain cubic inches. There is very little to be gained there. I had to bore my 360 .040 over to clean up broken ring damage, and the math says I gained 6 cubic inches. That's not much.

I suggest only boring as far as you have to for cleanup of the cylinders. You may find yourself wanting that wall thickness in the future, should anything go wrong, or if it just gets to where it needs another rebuild.

But most importantly, have fun!!

:? Al

jeepmonster
09-09-2004, 02:51 PM
you can easily hit the 310-345hp mark with that combo, I would run a better intake and carb...with the right cam you could even hit the high 300's to very low 400hp mark. The 343 is a extremely good power builder and runs right along the 401 for building low end grunt!!

Sounds good! What cam and intake would you suggest to get into the high 300's to 400 Horsepower level? What about strenghtening the bottom end with ARP rod bolts? Will I need to resize the rods?

jeepsr4ever
09-13-2004, 03:20 PM
I would look to obtaining a quench of .040 and a compression of at least 10 to 1. You will probly have to use 360 pistons to do this and use dogleg heads or edelbrock equivalents. a healthy solid lifter cam some head work like port matching and increasing the roof as well as some polishing on the exhaust ports will help out significantly. rod bolts should always be upgraded. You dont need to resize the rods unless they are mismatched.

rollen dean montoya
09-13-2004, 08:21 PM
no guts no glory :lo1l: go for the gusto bro! sounds like a cool project.
good luck
later, rollen :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad