PDA

View Full Version : bad motor in a good way.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

cj5steve
09-10-2004, 12:57 AM
i am planning on making the jeep full on racing jeep.what would you do with a 360 if you were doing the same.i have some good ideas i will say later,but i want to hear your ideas.street and trail are not a concern,even though they will happen in small amounts.goooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D>

Mudrat
09-12-2004, 12:17 PM
i am planning on making the jeep full on racing jeep.what would you do with a 360 if you were doing the same.i have some good ideas i will say later,but i want to hear your ideas.street and trail are not a concern,even though they will happen in small amounts.goooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D>

Oil Mod
Valve size increase
Port and polish
Intake
Headers
Bigger bump stick
Bigger fuel pump
Bigger carb or FI
Deck, line bore and balance everything in the block (incl flywheel ring gear clutch pack etc.)
bore/stroke if that's where you want to go.
At least deck the block and head

There are a bunch of things you can do for power out

Mudrat

cj5steve
11-25-2004, 01:28 AM
i found a remand 401 that i think i am going to buy.i am going to tear it apart get the bottom end balanced,put in a cam,and when i can, get some aluminum(sp?)heads.i am having a bit of a hard time finding a harmonic balancer for this motor.any ideas on that. :lo1l:

cj5steve
03-14-2005, 01:27 AM
no 401 im rebuiling the 360.i spent the last to weekends repairing the rotted out frame,and it turned out great.so now its time to start the motor.i already have new edelbrock performer heads,summit 8601 cam,bulltear coated timing cover(beautiful),centerforce clutch set,crane roller rockers,arp head studs,valley oil line from performance products,new cam and dist gear,rollmaster timing set.i am going to run 10 to 1 forged pistons and forged h-beam rods.and it will be balanced.hows that sound im hoping for 380-400 horse(hopefully).if it all works out as good as i hope it does i might put 100 shot of spray to it sometime in the future.(edit)forgot to say edelbrock performer 600 carb with offroad kit,and edelbrock performer intake.does this all sound like a good combo?any thing you would change?

Mudrat
03-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Bummer on the 401, but I can relate. I started a 360 build now as well. I won't have it ready for next months outting - still waiting parts :smile:

edelbrock performer heads, polished already? Port matched?
summit 8601 cam,and new dist gear,
bulltear coated timing cover(beautiful), :t:
centerforce clutch set,
crane roller rockers, Why Crane over Harlan Sharp 1.6's??
arp head studs,
valley oil line from performance products,
rollmaster timing set.
i am going to run 10 to 1 forged pistons and forged h-beam rods.
and it will be balanced.

hows that sound so far so good
im hoping for 380-400 horse(hopefully). should be easy!! :? Uh yeah!
if it all works out as good as i hope it does i might put 100 shot of spray to it sometime in the future. Why? What 'track' are you looking to use your 'full-up' race Jeep on? Flat track, Circle Track, Mud Track, Rock Track, Monster Truck Track? :-| Or your DD Track to work and back??? :?:
(edit) forgot to say edelbrock performer 600 carb with offroad kit,and edelbrock performer intake.does this all sound like a good combo?any thing you would change?
May want to add the HEI or MSD ignition for a hot spark to make it all turn :idea:

Mudrat =D>

cj5steve
03-26-2005, 09:59 AM
there was a lip on the exhaust ports that i smoothed out.the intake runners are port macthed to the edelbrock intake(already have).the crane rockers is what the parts store had.i drag race in the mud straight and flat usually about 100 feet track.already have msd box.might do the tfi coil thing.

cj5steve
06-13-2005, 10:52 PM
wow alot has happend since the last post.the arp studs would not work on the new heads.so i am waiting on my new head bolts to show up.other than that she is bored 30 over the rotating assebelly is balanced.the whole bottom end is put together.i had to go 30 under on the crank(mains and rods).that scares me alittle bit.should be in and running very soon.just a few more parts to pick up and it will be ready.

bushwackertn
06-29-2005, 04:46 AM
First of all I'd like to say, ARP Head Studs Suck ( 8) ARP) I put them in my block while I had the heads off, set the heads on and when I got ready to put my headers on they wouldn't work either. $130.00 for nothing, the place I bought them would not take them back either, since I had installed them in the block and then pulled them right back out 8) .
As far as cj5steve's engine sounds to me like you might want to through some more fuel to it, like 750 cfm or maybe 800. I don't think a 600 will do what you are wanting to do. Other than that it all sounds good. :lo1l:

cj5steve
07-12-2005, 12:44 AM
i posted some of this in the engine section but here is the whole story.once i got the motor running it ate the dizzy gear and the cam gear inside of 15 minutes.i was a little upset.i went to the junk yard and pulled a distributor,and brought it home for comparison purposes on the new one i bought(rebuilt stock unit,i was running out of money).it was pretty close but the dis.gear was maybe 1/32" off.the stuff i pulled out of the junk yard looked so good i ran the (junk)distributor and the cam gear.so far so good.i have probably ran it 1 hour,the inspection ran out in june and i can not leagelly(sp)drive it on the street.that being said i have ran it up and down the back road where i live and it is a monster.the carb seems to give enough fuel and all that.i timed it on monday.and then ran the piss out of it,working on setting carb now but really have to wait till i can get it on the street or atleast out in the wide open.so far it all seems very good and strong.my friend that helped me do alot of the work took it up the road and said when he hit the gas it druge him off the road.that locker is a bitch when your not used to it. :t: :t: :t: :t: :t:

Bulltear Ad