PDA

View Full Version : Hacks you have seen

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
09-10-2004, 01:46 PM
What are some of the Hacked up things you have seen, while working on a vehicle.

I will start

My photographer called me oneday after i did the motor swap for him. Said he could no longer shift into 4wd, So i go over and take a look. After the motor swap he brought it to a midas to do the exhaust. They broke there of the bolts for the skid on the drive side, and Tac welded it into place. (not even a good weld) and also broke the tranny mount, so the tranny/t-case was out of position and the 4wd linkage was binding. I assume they did not realize the skid held up the tranny and when they unbolted it it dropped and broke the mount. Unfortunatley I have heard of the happening to many times.

I know there are many more things I have seen, just cant think of them off the top of my head.

What are you stories?

-Paul

Lifted79CJ7
09-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Ha ha ha, I had a CJ that someone had run 3 one inch welds to keep it in place. That was my very first job at trying to grind (of course I was using a drill with an itty bitty grinding disc so it took forever!).

As for a real hack job, I saw Mudrat "The professional electrician"'s wiring job today. Is it a bad thing when you turn on the hazard lights and the only thing that works is the "BRAKE" light on the dash?
8)

Jack

Goose
09-11-2004, 01:43 AM
I did the engine swap in my J-10 from a 258 to 360.. with a t-176 trans..I consulted all of the Jeep "GURU's" and was told.. heck ya good swap it's a BOLT IN...Yea right..Nobody mentioned the 4" difference in length between the V-8 t-177 input shaft and bell housing! Swung the motor in and bonk bonk into the firewall with both valve covers..(I'm told by the guys helping me that when I looked in there and saw the gap it was a real "Homer moment") so after more phone calls and not a T-177 trans on the planet, call advance adaptors, Saved!! cut the frame mounts weld in AA's mount kit move tranny xmember forward install motor and fire it ..Fires first lick and sounds like a REAL Motor..hook up driveline for a quick spin and ,you guessed it 4.5" short..front is too long arrrrghhh!
to make a looong story shorter..Everything was a joke..
But the best/worst part was the brake proportioning valve was resting on top of the header collector so about the time I really pulled the trigger on this new motor and then stepped on the brake it went right to the floor !
But the good part of the story is this truck has been incredible for 9 years now and never broke down..
Good thing my Street rodder father in law was there for the fab work.. #-o

Mudrat
10-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Ha ha ha, I had a CJ that someone had run 3 one inch welds to keep it in place. That was my very first job at trying to grind (of course I was using a drill with an itty bitty grinding disc so it took forever!).

As for a real hack job, I saw Mudrat "The professional electrician"'s wiring job today. Is it a bad thing when you turn on the hazard lights and the only thing that works is the "BRAKE" light on the dash?
8)

Jack

Your turn will come when YOU ask for help reassembling all your bits and pieces - and go looking for the bolts for your timing cover or your 401 heads that I've made into boat anchors :?

Hahaahahahahahahahah eat that :2gunfire:

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
10-08-2004, 11:24 AM
:!:

Hey Mudrat, what are you doing this weekend? Feel like turning some wrenches on your CJ?

mrtazwrench
10-08-2004, 11:58 AM
an 80 chero parts rig, noticed somone added leafs to the front springs that extend out beyond the main leaf at the shackles. 111!!!

Mudrat
10-08-2004, 01:05 PM
:!:

Hey Mudrat, what are you doing this weekend? Feel like turning some wrenches on your CJ?

Yup - after the predawn strike (http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18193&highlight=#18193) on the Bug Empire :?
Need to stop by that wierd site you keep sending me links to and get the plans for that flame thrower :t: :?

Mudrat

Goose
10-08-2004, 10:42 PM
One of the most frightening "Hacks" I found on this littel v-8 CJ I just bought..Some homemade "Shackle lifts" 3" lift front and rear made out of 1/8 steel 1 1/4 " wide the bolts through the bushings are 5/16's and the holes in the bushings are 3/8's or larger. The best part was trying to "gingerly" drive this thing home without getting killed!

Bulltear Ad