PDA

View Full Version : Power brakes, master cylinder, and swapping to 11 inch rears

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

milocj
09-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I've got a 1986 CJ7 with power brakes and the smaller, newer drums. I've got an older Model 20 sitting in the yard that has the 11 inch rear drums on it. Will I notice a big difference in the stopping power if I were to swap them onto my widetrack? Do I need to use a different master cylinder if I do this, and were power brakes ever available with the 11 inch drums?

Mudrat
09-12-2004, 04:24 PM
I've got a 1986 CJ7 with power brakes and the smaller, newer drums. I've got an older Model 20 sitting in the yard that has the 11 inch rear drums on it. Will I notice a big difference in the stopping power if I were to swap them onto my widetrack? Do I need to use a different master cylinder if I do this, and were power brakes ever available with the 11 inch drums?

Milo, you'll see better braking and no, you won't need to change M/C's and for the power brakes - What year is this beast? I can look it up.

Mudrat

milocj
09-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks Mudrat.
The axle that I'm considering stealing the rear brakes from is a 1978. I'm a little torn about what to do because it has a Moser (I think) one-piece axle kit (and the original 11" brakes), almost new 4.10's, and an almost new Lock-Right. I think I want to keep the 3.54's in my wide tracks since I have an NV4500 so I could actually sell the 1978 narrow track as it stands ready to bolt in. If I steal the brakes off of it I'll have to break the retaining ring off the axle kit to get the backing plates free and then I don't know if there's much value left for another user by the time they get the extra pieces again. I currently have the stock 1986 Model 20 with a pretty good limited slip in it, and the Jeep has the factory power brakes, and I'm definitely putting some one-piecers in it soon.
Decisions, decisions.

Mudrat
09-12-2004, 04:54 PM
I took my 85 AMC 20 and stuck the one piece Suprior axles in it and slapped on a set of SSBC dic brakes. Then I jerked (well MC jerked) the whole thing out and I installed a D-44 with chebby disks. so I have whole rebuilt axles (F/R) with disc brakes stored under the Jeep not being used - yet :-)

Mudrat

Lifted79CJ7
09-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Mile, If I were you, I'd take wait, save for a nice dana 44 (I picked up my Scout rear for like $100) and swap that in with a disc brake setup (can be done cheaply but you would need to change MC's also - adding lots more cost - but a corvette MC works nicely). If you really want to stick with the model 20 and don't plan on going bigger (lift) than what you are at now, I say swap the 4.10's, lock rite, and brakes over. Later on you can swap in some one piece axles. My thought is why dump money into something you are just gonna swap out in a couple years anyway?
Just food for thought,
Jack :-|

Bulltear Ad