View Full Version : Cool AMC V8 Article - "Reanimating AMC's 390"

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
09-11-2004, 03:45 PM
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0403_amc/index.html

jeepsr4ever
09-11-2004, 08:45 PM
it is a good article with tech stolen from long time amc'ers. It was a executive of chrysler who built the engine(S) he blew up a couple of 390's on the stand running a roller cam and no anti walk provisions. Some good tech in there. :t:

Lifted79CJ7
09-11-2004, 10:41 PM
OK, so why does a full roller can need a antiwalk kit compared to a flat tappet? Or are you talking about roller bearings for the cam as well?
Jack

Al Johnson
09-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Flat lifter cams have a taper ground into the surface of the cam lobes toward the back of the engine, plus the lifters are not on the center of the lobes, but forward a little bit. All this combines to make the cam push to the rear of the engine, as well as rotate the lifters in their bores.

Roller lifter cams can't have any of those features, by their nature, so the cam is free to float wherever it wants without an antiwalk button or retainer of some sort.

:?
Al

Elliott
09-18-2004, 06:34 PM
I guess the Hot Rod Engines mag for Sept has another AMC build article. Haven't been able to pick one up, but if someone does and can scan it I'd appreciate it... save me driving to another 10 stores lookin' :wink:

Bulltear Ad