PDA

View Full Version : OK, new problem

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
09-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Dana 44 rear

Finally got the brake backing plate straightend out - litterally

Rob and I tried to press off some sort of collar off the axle so I can replace the wheel bearing and broke the 8) bearing seperator.

WTF is this thing and why / what purpose does it serve??? It the piece between the seal (loose) and bearing in the top pic ... (courtesy of fourwheeler.com)

http://fourwheeler.com/techarticles/p154557_image_large.jpg

And how does one remove it? I trashed a 8) bearing sep tool in a 20 ton press and it didn't budge :shock:

Mudrat :-|

milocj
09-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Are you talking about the piece right up against the wheel bearing to the left in the upper photo? That piece is an extra press fit retainer to help keep the axle from working loose from the bearing and out the end of the axle. The sock two piece shafts have a lip on the axle the the bearing presses against before the hub is installed. I think the only way to remove those retaining rings is to drill a hole or two almost through them and then split them with a chisel.

This is why I'm having a hard time trying to decide of it's worth the trouble to steal a set of 11" brakes of an older Model 20 I have with a Moser axle kit in it.

Mudrat
09-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Are you talking about the piece right up against the wheel bearing to the left in the upper photo? That piece is an extra press fit retainer to help keep the axle from working loose from the bearing and out the end of the axle. The sock two piece shafts have a lip on the axle the the bearing presses against before the hub is installed. I think the only way to remove those retaining rings is to drill a hole or two almost through them and then split them with a chisel.

This is why I'm having a hard time trying to decide of it's worth the trouble to steal a set of 11" brakes of an older Model 20 I have with a Moser axle kit in it.
That be the piece, Drill and split??? Does a new bearing kit come with one to replace it?? How can I get it off or a new one on then? I busted a 4.5" bearing seperator trying just to get the D side off!!!!

Take a look at your other thread on the 20 / 44 dilemma I have a set of rear 20 front 30 axles completely rebuilt I'm not using now. Thinking of dropping thoses and the 'spare' Dana 300 UI ahve in the YJ for Erin.

But go with the bigger brakes if your going with bigger tires.

Mudrat

milocj
09-12-2004, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure if they come with a bearing kit or not. I'm sure that Moser or Superior has them if nobody else does. I've got a 20 ton press too, and I've installed one-piece kits in two different rear ends. If I had to guess I would say that the retaining ring takes almost twice the effort to press on as the bearings do. It must be a couple of thousandths tighter of a press fit than the bearing.

I saw your other reply. If this other Model 20 didn't have the same removal problem that you're running into now I would steal the brakes in a heartbeat. Same thing goes if I knew I was going to steal the 4.10's, but I'm still thinking of keeping the 3.54's with the 304 and the NV4500.
I've been running 33's with the stock brakes so far.
Good luck.

jerry
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
What I did was get a good bearing specter snap on he broke a cheap one we put in the press and ran a bee around it to heat it up and it can off and yes I think a new one come with a kit.

Jerry

Lifted79CJ7
09-13-2004, 12:42 AM
bearing specter snap on he broke a cheap one we put in the press and ran a bee around it to heat it up

OK, are there type-o's in there? What is a "Bee" and what is a "bearing specter"?

Thanks for the knowledge,

Jack

Bulltear Ad