PDA

View Full Version : Very Hard to turn engine over with starter.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

wdwrlw
09-16-2004, 06:14 AM
Not real sure where this would get the most feedback but hopefully you guys can give me some advice. I have a motor that I rebuilt with help from a machinist. Motor has been used for about 2 years now. Always had one issue, its hard to turn over. The starter really struggles. The engine is basically stock AMC 360 bored .03 over and a mild Comp Cam. I thought I would fix this problem with a big nast starter so I purchased a Mean Green Starter and installed it. It still did the same thing. This is the first indication that there may be another problem. I have no idea where to look first. The starter was hard to get a good flush mount but the stock starter fits right in. Any ideas?

Thanks
Wade

Lifted79CJ7
09-16-2004, 06:33 AM
So how hard is it to turn over by hand? :-|
Jack

pyagid
09-16-2004, 06:44 AM
You could be missing a ground, or have to many grounds. I have seen motors crank very slow and hard in both those situations

-Paul

wdwrlw
09-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Turning the motor by hand on the engine stand was hard in my eyes. I don't assemble a motor everyday but it took some grunt to turn it by hand. I questioned this and basically it was told to me it is going to be very hard to turn an assembled engine over by hand...... so I continued and installed and when fired up I don't notice anything. And it will run like hell. If its internal I would have never guessed it but thats why Im asking to get feedback. Thanks

wdwrlw
09-16-2004, 06:58 AM
And about the ground wire,

Along with the engine came a brand new wiring harness from painless wiring. Everything worked but I did have engine run on when I shut the ignition off. Its not a daily driver so I delt with the sluggish turn over because it would eventually crank and to shut it off I put it in gear and gently let the clutch out. But now I'm seeing there may be a problem. Just don't no where?

The only ground I am aware of between the battery and starter is the one to the battery to engine I thought. I will check it though. Any other grounds I need to look for?

pyagid
09-16-2004, 07:26 AM
There is usually one from the Battery to the Engine, one from the engine block to the frame. (usually under the passenger motor mount) and also one for the Body to the frame, I believe. I will see if I could find a grounding diagram to post. If you only have the 1 ground from the battery to the block, try adding a second from the block to the frame.

-Paul

pyagid
09-16-2004, 07:37 AM
some info, although it will apply slightly different
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/ImproveGrounds.html

mrtazwrench
09-16-2004, 11:54 AM
check for voltage drops across all the cables, and solnoid etc.

wdwrlw
09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks for everyones help. I believe I fixed it. I reworked all electrical wires relating to starting the engine and now it works. While working I did find another issue. See my new thread I need help...

Thanks Wade

jerry
09-16-2004, 07:31 PM
check for amp drew on the starter wire my wasn't turning over good check and it was 700 amps.

Jerry

Bulltear Ad