PDA

View Full Version : Getting hot in here

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

XtremeOverKill
09-20-2004, 07:36 AM
I'm geting ready to pull the engine and transmission of my 84 Wagoneer.

I'm looking for ways to reduce heat given off from the engine through the firewall to the cabin.

My first thought is Dynamatt.

Anyone had experience with this? Either good or Bad?

OR are there other options other than Dynamatt?

- yes this is posted too on IFSJA but I'm searching for information

jeepsr4ever
09-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Lots of ways to reduce heat

1. inner vents help a ton
2. Dynamat or std. heat blanket help (welding blanket help alot as well)
3. Wrapping your exhaust helps.
4. running supercoolant and not letting your engine run hot.

Did you have a particular issue on the heat problem?

XtremeOverKill
09-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Not really a specific problem.

In the summer time I feel that the Jeep is trying to stay cool, but with the constant heater (i.e. Engine) breathing on the firewall, then transfering heat to the cabin, just makes for an unpleasantly warm ride.

I've not hear of many competitors to Dynamatt, and while I know very little I was turning to you guys for suggestions and/or past experiences.

My other thought was to undercoat the Jeep - firewall and all - with a spray on Bedliner material, but then I'm not sure what that would do for Heat.

And I couldn't agree with you more on the inner Vents. I have thought about making the windshield cowl into an engine vent... Any reasons or thoughts for why this might not be a good idea? OR has it been done before?

Thanks in Advance,

Goose
09-20-2004, 10:39 AM
One of the tricks we use in the street rods is to buy the kind of insulation they sell at building material supplier (like menards) it is like bubble pack for shipping but tiny bubbles and is foil faced on both sides.. put this under the carpet and up against the firewall It has to be protected but it works surprisngly well,

rollen dean montoya
09-20-2004, 10:46 PM
i had a problem with heat in my 85 fiero gt's engine bay. the clutch slave cylinder would cook cause pontiac routed the rear header over the top of the slave cylinder. i cured the heat problem by "borrowing" a insulation blanket from work(boeing)and wrapping it around the slave cyl. the blanket is rated for 500 degrees of heat. hope this might give you an
idea.
later, rollen :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad