PDA

View Full Version : You crazy MN's.....

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
09-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Minnesota Trooper Writes 205 MPH Ticket

WABASHA, Minn. (Sept. 21) - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

09/21/04 16:39 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Lifted79CJ7
09-22-2004, 01:57 AM
Oh, and by the way.... 8) and :lo1l: !!! Also, this guy needs to join the D-Links....

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Yeah as soon as he gets out of jail I will ask him =D> :?:

Goose
09-22-2004, 11:46 AM
You know I thought about something while reading the 205 mph post..If that guy is crazy enough to run 205 on the highway.. mebbe he would try this experiment for us..
Eat a large pot of beans seasoned liberally with JP-4 (jet fuel) hop on the scooter and get'er up to 205 open helmet, open mouth and see if the air flow is sufficient to turn him into a human ramjet?? It might be a little hard on the seat of the pants .

Just a thought (a sick twisted thought true but a thought nonetheless)

mrtazwrench
09-22-2004, 11:58 AM
i once was passed by one of these bikes, 20 miles from wabasha, on a road where it was 50 mph, thought i'd see how fast this guy was going, i was driving a 68 charger with a 383, looked like a pos with primered fenders, anyway i got withina car lengeth of him at 120-130 mph, could see by how he was looking in the mirror that it surprised the hell out of him, by the way most i ever went with that car was 145.

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2004, 12:19 PM
You know I thought about something while reading the 205 mph post..If that guy is crazy enough to run 205 on the highway.. mebbe he would try this experiment for us..
Eat a large pot of beans seasoned liberally with JP-4 (jet fuel) hop on the scooter and get'er up to 205 open helmet, open mouth and see if the air flow is sufficient to turn him into a human ramjet?? It might be a little hard on the seat of the pants .

bahahahahaaaa!!!! Humat ramjet...classic

cheapjeep
09-22-2004, 06:32 PM

He could wear "assless chaps" :wink:

rollen dean montoya
09-22-2004, 07:03 PM
this guy is a D-LINK for sure :lo1l: :lo1l: :lo1l: :lo1l:
later, rollen :lo1l:

Soylent_Green
09-22-2004, 10:26 PM
this sam guy called in to a local radio station (93X) to request a song. I can't remember exactly what he requested because i was at work and had to leave the truck, but it should have been Fuel by Metallica, or I can't drive 55. !!!

Another interesting note: I've gotten pulled over on that stretch of Hwy 61 several times on my way back from Winona, MN. Once, I was going 75, the other 80. I recieved only warnings both times. 8)

Bulltear Ad