PDA

View Full Version : Oil path in v8?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FrankNB
09-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Here's my stupid question of the day..

From the pan to the pump, to the filter, to the pressure sender, to the cam bearings, to the rest of the internals and back down in the pan..

Is this correct? :-|

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2004, 09:58 AM
from the pan to the pump to the oil filter to the cam and lifters then to the crank shaft and back to the pan..your very close :wink: oh and then from the pan to your driveway via rear main seal :?: :?: :?: I almost forgot then from the driveway to your favorite shirt via the old lady :oops:

FrankNB
09-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Reason I'm asking is.. where is the the pressure sender located in the chain? after or before the filter? It makes a difference in my setup, since I have a line from that point going to my bypass filter which has a restricted flow.. but just to get a picture..

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2004, 11:02 AM
their are 2 bypasses

1. Is the pressure bypass located on the side of the oil filter that comes after the filter
2. The oil filter bypass located where the filter screws into the adaptor has a small composite plunger and a spring behind it (chrysler cast this in with the help of amc engineers inthe late 80's) This allows dirty oil to enter your bearings but also relieves the pressure from ballooning the oil filter itself. It was a band aid AMC used inthe 60's for the lack of oil and filter technology we now have today.

FrankNB
09-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Cool, so plumbing the bypass filter at the sending unit fitting give me an after full flow and before engine reading... If you can understand what I'm trying to say.. :shock:

Thanks.. by the way, when after I install a shut off valve on the bypass filter, I'll see pressure without to compare if there is a considerable drop.. I suspect it minuscule..

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2004, 11:26 AM
:-|

kirkwood
01-10-2005, 10:59 AM
This might help too...
http://home.comcast.net/~ijwebb/americanmotorscorp/Pictures/oiling.jpg

Bulltear Ad