PDA

View Full Version : Old tech on cam bearings (say no to valley lines?)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
09-22-2004, 11:12 AM
A note for those who do not want to drill a valley line in their engine block or feel skeptical on tapping it. Another oiling solution is to use a smaller hole on the cam bearings to direct oil from the cam to the mains. We do a .201 hole on every bearing but the front (which oils the distributor and camshaft gears) Because nobody has invented a hole shriker yet :razz: we need to drill a new hole and deburr it using a small deburring tool. then orient the bearings int he block to allow the oil galley to line up with the new hole. This causes the cam to be fed well enough to allow more oil and pressure to the mains. It is a old trick used in the late 60's but is a nice one for those who dont want to drill their blocks.

401 Pacer
08-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Another approach would be to CAREFULLY install the bearings off kilter a touch so that the oil holes are slightly askew...this would partially block the passage creating in effect a smaller hole.

Granted, this is not for the timid, but it's a LOT less work than drilling and tapping holes!

Goose
08-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Heh, well most of the cam bearings I install are a leeeeetle teeeny bit off kilter on a good day...(we wont talk about the one I missed entirely... That was of course the last place I looked for pressure problems...Duuuhh)

401 Pacer
08-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Just realized the REAL solution to oiling problems.....

SLICK 50! :kamahlitude2: :sign5: :hathat49:

BREK
08-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Just realized the REAL solution to oiling problems.....

SLICK 50! :kamahlitude2: :sign5: :hathat49:

That was worth a few :?: :?: :?:

Goose
08-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Did you ever wonder if a spoonfull of slick 50 could relieve constipation?? :-|

I bet you could pick up 25 feet per second in muzzle velocity... If you can stand the slamming shut effect.. :?

:mrgreen: sorry I really am a sick man...really your Honor!

401 Pacer
08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't give Slick 50 to even bin laden......and that stuck up arsehole deserves it! Actually, I'd rather give him a Draino enema.

:t:

Bulltear Ad