PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

nvrsunk
09-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I have a brand new reman 360 in my CJ. Has about 500 miles, but little concerned about oil pressure. When first started up, get about 40psi, but once it warms up, it struggles down around 20 psi, and as low as 15 at idle. Any drawbacks to putting in a new high pressure oil pump kit?

XtremeOverKill
09-23-2004, 10:51 AM
For what its worth my engine with 112,000 miles on it does the same thing...

I know you're thinking that 40 psi is a good thing and should alwyas be there... but so long as you have some oil pressure I would think you would be fine.

I wouldn't install a high pressure unless the rest of the board suggests it.

Just my $0.02 worth

Dusty
09-23-2004, 11:09 AM
How did the timing cover look? sounds like your a little loose in the oil pump area.

nvrsunk
09-23-2004, 11:21 AM
When you say loose in the oil pump area what do you mean? The timing cover is brand spankin new. There is also the possibility that my pressure guage is screwed up so I am going to put a new one on this weekend.

Dusty
09-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Well if its new, i may have to take that back, that would be my first suspision, I was implying that the oilpump gear space may be out of spec and too much oil is getting by. Did you do the build up yourself? Personally I dont like anything below 20-25psi warm. It is possible that you got a bad "new" timing cover though. unlikely. Did you pack the oil pump gears with petroleum jelly when you assembled it?

First like you said i would test oil pressure with a different quality mechanical guage to verify if yours is reading accurately.

nvrsunk
09-23-2004, 11:53 AM
The engine was a complete remanufactured engine from Recon engines in Philly. Unfortunately I had to go this route because of time constraints and put the engine in one night with the help of only my girlfriend. Needless to say, Im just now (3 months later) getting back and fixing all the "fixes" from the original swap. Right now I have an electric sending unit on there so that may be the first problem. Other than that, it seems to run fine and there are no knocks, taps, etc.

Dusty
09-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Did they tell you they put a new TC on or did they just clean yours and install it? I have seen quite a few rebuilds where they just install a cleaned old cover and run it, especially on Remans.

nvrsunk
09-23-2004, 12:08 PM
No clue. It actually came with the TC on it. I still have my old one in the parts pile. I will give them a call and ask tonight.

rollen dean montoya
09-23-2004, 03:51 PM
on your engine you should by no lower than 20 psi warm. do what dusty has suggested and record the pressure with the mechanical gage. if the
temporary gage shows over 20psi at operating temp then the sending
unit , gage or both may be bad.
later, rollen :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad