PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch removal Tricks??

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Goose
09-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Whats the trick to get the ignition switch out of the oclumn on a 77 CJ5??
Mine is getting pretty tough to turn so I better "DEAL WITH IT" now rather than later.. #-o

tufcj
09-26-2004, 08:00 AM
You have to remove the horn button, steering wheel and lock plate. It's nearly impossible to remove the lock plate without the special tool. You can buy or rent them at most auto parts stores. You will see a slot with a tab inside the column at the base of the lock barrel. Turn the key to the ON position, and push on the tab with a screwdriver. The lock barrel will slide out.

If the key turns hard, it could be other problems. There's a rod that runs down the top of the column to the switch under the dash. The rod or switch could be dragging or dirty. Just other things to check if the lock doesn't fix it.

Bob.
tufcj

Goose
09-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the help..you actually answered two questions for me.. the lock removal and, Iv'e been looking at this funny looking screwdriver/puller looking gizzywith long U shaped bar on it for 10 years in my tool box...I bought it used it once a loooong time ago and forgot what it was. Bingo it's the lock plate tool. (D'OOHH!!) #-o

Bulltear Ad