PDA

View Full Version : Front dana 60 questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

blt2krl
09-29-2004, 09:08 AM
I took the rig out tonight. I was driving in four low when all of a sudden there is a vibration and a bang out of the front end. I get out and look at everything nothing looks out of place or leaking. I get back in and start to drive agian nothing for a few minutes and then it does it agian. I look at the driveline and it shows no signs of binding at all. Could a hub not be fully engaging cause this? I have the Warn 35 spline hubs that I have been hearing are not so hot . I disengaged the t-case (Part-Time QT) but left the hubs in and drove but I got no vibration and no bang. It acts like something is engaging and disengaging but I'm at a loss. Any clues, I'm at alose.. Help

jeepsr4ever
09-29-2004, 09:37 AM
do you have a locker? It sounds like a chipped spider gear.

Dusty
09-29-2004, 09:39 AM
I would suspect the same either a chipped spider or even a chunk of something broke loose and possibly got sucked up and lodged in between the ring and pinion :shock:

jeepsr4ever
09-29-2004, 10:23 AM
dang dana 60 R&P's arent cheap....contact tigger here if your looking though, he can get the best price

tufcj
09-29-2004, 10:25 AM
What t-case do you have? I've seen instances in chain drive units where the front/rear bind causes the chain to skip if it's worn. It sounds like the axle because it echos thru the driveshaft.

Just another thing to look at.

Bob.
tufcj

FrankNB
09-29-2004, 12:39 PM
My first bet would be a front hub, I've had hub assemblies crap out before and did this bang sound... I've also had a badly welded rear end do this befor.. take the hubs apart, inspect, then move to the next thing..

blt2krl
09-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I have a full detroit locker upfront. The T-case is a part-timed QT. I'm leaning towards the hubs being bad. I pulled the drivers side cover last night and it appears the 35 spline stub shaft is grinding up agianst the dial mechanism. It also seems the spring is flimsy. I'm going to do some more looking tonight after work.

blt2krl
09-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Okay here is what I have found so far. It only pops when the hubs are engaged. With the T-case in and the hubs out there is no popping. I put the hubs in and the popping starts. I pulled the hubs and the set screw that hold the locking ring in is bent on both sides. It appears that the spring that is on the dial is not strong enough to full engage and hold the locking ring. It appears to allow the ring to walk out and diengage. SO I think I will try the Mile marker hubs and the drive flanges won't work for me.

jeepsr4ever
09-29-2004, 07:48 PM
:t:

FrankNB
09-30-2004, 04:46 AM
Hey, since you have it apart.. I don't know how a 60's hub assembly works, but last time I blew a hub was cause my hub nuts came loose and didn't allow the locking device to fully engage.. I ground the locking hub to a pulp.. :razz:

Bulltear Ad