PDA

View Full Version : 76 FSJ cherokee drivetrain question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

K.WesleyII
09-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi,I am new to jeeps.But I am an AMC fanatic.In my travels I came up with a 76 FSJ cherokee.It is to far gone to repair so I am parting it out and since I know absolutely nothing about jeeps I was hoping someone could tell me what I have.It is completly stock,I know it has a th400 trans and a 360.The front end does not have lockouts and both differentials are offset to the passenger side.There is a lever to put it in 4wd.What are the front and rear differential called.They look the same but look nothing like a model20.I am trying to identify this stuff to put on ebay.I am not trying to get rich just get some money back.These parts should be used and not scrapped.Any comments on what a fair price for this stuff would be appreciated.My ebay ID is spirit390 and if any forum members win the auctions just tell me and I will take 10% off in appreciation of the help from this forum.I have listed the useable sheetmetal.Thanks for the help and bandwidth Keith

Lifted79CJ7
09-30-2004, 02:40 AM
You have a 360 ci V8, TH400 Transmission, BW1339 Quadratack transfercase, and dana 44 axles. Hope that helps. I'll buy it for a dollar, you pay shipping and storage. 8)
Jack

K.WesleyII
09-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks to lifted79cj7 for the fast reply.I guess this is the transfer case that everyone calls a quadra-junk.Is there any way to open it up to see if it is any good.I am an experienced AMC shadetree mechanic,but I know nothing about jeeps.What should I look for on the inside that would show abuse or any places that are prone to cracking on the case.Thanks Keith

jeepsr4ever
09-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Thats a stout case if you keep up on changing the fluid and after alot of miles changing the chain. That case has lived behind 401's for many years

Lifted79CJ7
09-30-2004, 08:28 PM
I agree with ball-fondler. 8) The BW-1339 is good if you take care of it. Make sure when replacing fluid to use the right kind - regular tcase fluid is a no-no. Also, there is a part time kit out there as well. It is much cheaper to swap in a dana 44 rear and get a different tcase, though. I ran a Q/T in my first Jeep for years without any problem. The biggest problem are air line leaks. Let me know if you want more 411 on it and I'll see what I can dig up for ya.

Bulltear Ad