PDA

View Full Version : I wanna turbo my 401 on this rebuild!!!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
10-03-2004, 11:13 AM
OK Kids, I need lots of tech info and help. Watching the Power Block today on SPIKE today, I have completely lost my mind and am thinking about turbocharging, hell, maybe even twin turbo charging my 401!! So where should we start? I want to be able to keep this thing streetable, but lets crank some numbers here!! What all am I gonna need and who can give good tech info? I don't know much about fuel induction, so any carb help would be greatly appreciated!
111!!! #-o
Jack

Goose
10-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Just my humble opinion, But if your gonna go wheelin turbos arent really the hot setup (unless you run an auto trans and high stall converter) to make a turbo spin you need rpm and if youre crawlin about , You got no rpm to speak of..Now if you re gonna mount a wing on the rollbar say a couple hail marys and do some WOT mud racing That might "Get er Done"
But on the other hand a blower or over driven paxton would be more than a little fun! Does anyone make a blower manifold for amc?

Again just an opinion and far be it from me to stand in the way of yet more insane horsepower in little SWB Jeeps..(after I saw a 426 Hemi stuffed in a CJ-5 I've never been quite right) :shock: :!: :?

Lifted79CJ7
10-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, I am gonna use an auto (TF727), and it needs to be rebuilt after the engine is done, so now is the time to make desicions. Honestly, I find rock crawling fun, but too slow and brutal for me. I love trail riding and mud pits, so I might be headed in the right direction. My thought (and please tell me if I am wrong here), that since I am already running a 401, I will already have enough pedal (torque) on tap no matter what I am doing. Anywho, I wanna do a budget build and see what happens. I can tell you that a nice paxton is not in my budget. Maybe a nice couple of turbos from a junkyard is. I don't want to go all radical with it, just a way of boosting horsepower a bit and doing something different. My "grey" areas are turbo selection, making the manifolds(shouldn't be too hard-just time consuming), regualting boost pressure, over-heating and expensive cures, and cam selection. The rest seems pretty easy. Anywho, just sounds like something more fun to kick around and more fun than the same old stroker. Here is what really got the idea in my head:

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-products.cfm

So come on everyone, tell me how crazy I am and why - knowledge is a good thing!! Anyone have any good turbo sites to look into (even if it's sport compact), or any humurous anecdotes to share?

Jack

Barry Kaul
10-07-2004, 08:22 PM
The right turbo for your application will spool up just fine. Hot rod magazine just had a couple articles about turbocharging engines. Those issues would be a good place to start. Also try Turbonetics website (www.turbonetics.com). You could call them with your engine specs and they could recomend a turbo right for your rig.

tufcj
10-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Check this guys ebay auctions for turbo info, he's also quite knowledgable on turbo AMCs.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZgatorsuperchargerQQsosortord erZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

Bob.
tufcj

Bulltear Ad