PDA

View Full Version : Painting Springs

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
10-06-2004, 12:02 PM
I am going to pull my leaf packs apart, and clean them up. I have seen some people use a graphite paint, so that the springs will slip on each other better.

What about teflon coating them? (there are more teflon coat products than just yoru non stick pans) would this hold up?

Or how woudl you suggest putting them back together for best results

-Paul

Goose
10-06-2004, 01:51 PM
I tried a little trick , It's too soon to tell if it will last but here it is.

I use a spray on product called MS.Molly In my rifle barrels and on the bullets, It seems to even out the shot to shot velocity, and stays in the barrel till you use an ammonia based solvent to remove it.. Soo I I just put a new set of Rancho 2" Springs in the J-10 and man it rode like a pogo stick.. Took 'em apart and sprayed them with MS.Molly It is a molybdenum disulfide mix with something else any way It rides muuch better but I havent had it on the road long enough to tell ya how durable it will be.. The side benefit is a trick looking leaf pack that is A Gunmetal grey color.

I know cabellas sells MS.Molly About 19.00 a can and it goes a loong way, Wouldn't be surprised if you could do all 4 leaf packs with one.

pyagid
10-06-2004, 02:07 PM
:-|

sounds very interesting, I probably wont be doing anything for another 2 months or so,

so let me know how it works out

-Paul

Penguin
11-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Here is another trick I heard. Drive around without shocks for a short time. This will help work in the springs. Then put shocks on. I tried this with my recent project and it worked great. But I think I might have waited a little to long because toward the end it was getting really bouncy. But it is a smooth ride now.

pyagid
02-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Goose, any update on how the springs are holding up?

-Paul

Goose
02-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Yea still holding up no sign of rust or anything.. pried acouple leafs apart and looked in still looking good. It did seem to mellow the ride some.

rollbar
02-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Just beware the Moly will get in your skin & it's painfull, you might get lump under your skin. I know a Deisel mech who uses it allot & this happened to him, he had to get it pulled out like spaggetti. :shock:

MrFurious
05-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Hate to tell you, but Ms. Molly is the same stuff that farmers use on grain wagons to slick up the walls, and it doesn't cost $19 a can at your local farm supply either.

These guys were out to the Varmint hunters Jamboree in Pierre, SD a couple years back and after listening to their speel we (Mic McPherson, Darryl Holland, By Smalley, Fred Moreo, and myself) started grilling them with questions about the product. Out of the three guys there representing them (one being the so-called inventor), no one could give us a real answer. Needless to say, they couldn't give their product away moreless sell any once we got the word around.

Getting back to the topic at hand, there is a gun product that is similar and well proven called Moly Fusion by Shooter Solutions. Here's the info...

http://www.shootersolutions.com/molyfusion1.html
(Make sure to check out the Corrosion Resistance page as well)

Besides firearm applications we also use this on our cutting tools and machine raceways, and have been really impressed with how well it works. Works great on FL sizing dies as well.

Mudrat
05-11-2005, 03:53 PM
But The Parsec Group (http://www.crosslink.net/~parsec/PARSEC.HTM) has government contracts for small arms lubricants (50 cal and below proven in weapons tests at Aberdeen and other places as well as being the lube of choice now for SW Asia), rockets and space craft back down to good ol' F/A-15, 16 and 18 grease and fluid lubricants. Not sure about the Stealth series - I'll have to ask :-|

Oh, and it works great in all my guns (but I only go up to 300 Win mag :lo1l: ) and the truck (5.7 Hemi) jumped 2 MPG when I doused the crank case with a quart :idea:

Pat

MrFurious
05-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Just do me a favor and tell me you don't ever use JB Bore Compound in your barrels.

Mudrat
05-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Just do me a favor and tell me you don't ever use JB Bore Compound in your barrels.
Nope - been a competitive shooter for over 20 years and had some .. ummm ... ah ... "other" training. Plus after treating with the Spica Gold (commercial name is Plate+), on a 300 Win-Mag tests show negligable throat wear after 300 rounds (normally the half to 2/3 barrel life) and in a .45 the velocity increase was average 30FPS. I used to clean after every match (300-450 rounds) Now I just need to wipe down and clean once a season (almost 2500 rounds).

Pat

Mudrat
05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Not to cause any friction in this depate (yuk, yuk), but here is the technical response from the Parsec Group. Another reference is from teh ASME JournalHERE (http://scitation.aip.org/ASMEJournals/Tribology/) and another quoted below from the University of Sheffield.

12 May 05

Pat: The MS Molly is a compound of uninhibited (not acid neutralized) and not remicronized moly disulfide (not a suspension) mixed with a fast drying alcohol base. It was originally touted as a bullet coating. Spray on and let dry. The typical problems with build-up and acid formation resulted in its use. To our knowledge it is not used to any extent by anyone except a few who will believe anything the Ms. Molly people tell them.

The Moly-Fusion is a compound of Molybdenum Dithiophosphate which was patented by the Vanderbilt family many years ago and trademarked as "Moly Van L".
This formula has a bad habit of breaking down over time with one of several compounds resulting - including Phosphoric Acid. You can imagine what Phosphoric Acid will do to a firearm or anything made of metal.

"Striction" is somewhat of a bastard word with no one claiming that they started its use. It is not an accepted term in Tribology. Usually it is used by the uneducated in an attempt to convey to others how smart they are. "Strong Interfacial Adhesion" means nothing more than a high degree of friction between 2 or more interacting surfaces (substrates) which move against each other.

We continue to be amazed at how many people run around constantly trying to alter names, make up names, etc. in order to sell someone an alleged moly product.

J. Weldon Smith
Director of Tribology
comcntr/JWS/sc

Pat

OBTW What is Tribology?
"Tribology is defined as the science of interacting surfaces in relative motion. The word tribology comes from the Greek tribos, meaning rubbing. In any machine there are lots of component parts that operate by rubbing together. Some examples are bearings, gears, cams and tappets, tyres, brakes, and piston rings. All of these components have two surfaces which come into contact, support a load, and move with respect to each other. Sometimes it is desireable to have low friction, to save energy, or high friction, as in the case of brakes. Usually we don't want the components to wear so they are lubricated.

The study of friction, wear, lubrication and contact mechanics are all important parts of tribology. Related aspects are surface engineering (the modification of a component's surface to improve its function, for example by applying a surface coating), surface roughness, and rolling contact fatigue (where repeated contacts causes fatigue to occur)."

Bulltear Ad