PDA

View Full Version : Tranny won't go

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Barry Kaul
10-07-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm putting my jeep back together and the tranny won't bolt up. There is probably 1/2-3/4" gap between the tranny and the bellhousing. It is splined into the clutch disc. I think the input shaft is too long for my set up. I'm using a bell housing from the original t150, and a t176 trans. Are the bellhousings the same? Anyone have this problem before or am I just dumb? Anyone want to buy a Jeep? :smile:

tufcj
10-07-2004, 08:55 PM
The bellhousings are the same depth, I have one of each on my shed. My bet is that the pilot bushing in the back of the crankshaft needs to be a different size for the tip of the t-176 shaft. Pull the trans back out, and compare the size of the tips of the input shafts on the 2 trannies.

If they are the same size, then it's just an alignment problem. You did use an alignment tool when you tightened down the pressure plate onto the clutch. didn't you? If not, you can get cheap plastic alignment shafts that are application specific, or universal ones. The clutch disc needs to be EXACTLY centered on the pilot bushing, or you'll have exactly the problem you're having.

Bob.
tufcj

Goose
10-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Bingo, Tufcj hit it on the head.. Got to be pilot bushing or slight misalignment in the disk, I just did the Watusi waterpump wiggle last weekend.. Thanks God my wife doesn't mind helping!

But whatever you do don't try to thread the bolts in and pull it together! that will cause grief beyond listing.

Barry Kaul
10-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I used the alignment tool. I will try redoing it on my next day off. I have the right pilot bushing to I tried that before I put it in. Thnkas for the help.

Barry Kaul
12-02-2004, 06:04 PM
For anyone interested the causee of the problem was the input shaft bottoming out in the crank. :-| So if the bellhousings are the same, and the tranny came out of a CJ, then there must be a difference in the crankshafts some where along the line. #-o

tufcj
12-03-2004, 08:40 AM
:-| Never seen that before. Is it possible that you left out the plate between the block and bellhousing? If that's the case, you may have starter alignment problems too.

Penguin
12-03-2004, 09:04 AM
For anyone interested the causee of the problem was the input shaft bottoming out in the crank. :-| So if the bellhousings are the same, and the tranny came out of a CJ, then there must be a difference in the crankshafts some where along the line. #-o
Learn something new everyday. Never heard of any difference before. Did you measure to come to this conclusion?
I have had this problem where it doesn't go that last little bit but it was from the clutch spindle, turn the tranny a bit to align and it slips right in.

Barry Kaul
12-04-2004, 11:02 PM
How could that tiny plate cause any alignment issues? Yeah, I measured everything to find out what was going on, I was running out of ideas and patience.

tufcj
12-05-2004, 09:25 AM
It does. It wouldn't be there if it wasn't needed, do you think that the manufacturer would add an extra part at any price, and extra weight if there wasn't a reason.

The starter mounts thru it, it spaces the starter back slightly from the flywheel. There is no other adjustment of the starter. Without it, the starter gear can extend too far, so the back edge of the starter gear grinds against the flywheel gear, eventually wearing one or both of the gears to failure. It sould also make the starter noisy. I've seen it happen.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad