PDA

View Full Version : It ate the distributor gear - Help!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

2jeeps
10-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Put new rebuilt motor in 75 360 and it ran a few miles and backfired three times and died. It ate the distributor gear. Any idea what I did wrong? Used the old drive gear off old motor. Best way to get the gear parts out of motor? Thanks for the help.

jeepsr4ever
10-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Bill welcome aboard~

Your not alone distributor gear breakage is common with using a old gear. Lets run down possibilities

1. Pins must have been in place to align the timing cover
2. never use a used timing cover on a rebuilt engine
3. the right thickness of gasket must be used on the oil pump or binding may occur
4. flashing on the large timing gear can cause zero oil to get to the gear.
5. flashing anywhere the oil pumps can cause this as well.
6. the wrong oil has been known to cause this
7. using unmatched gear sets
8. Front cam bearing must have oil slot going 360 degree's
9. timing gear must have oil slot at 2:00 position form the keyway
10. fuel pump eccentric must be clear to let oil pass
11. excessive play in the distributor can cause this
12. cam walk caused by flashing inthe oil relief holes in the last bearing area of the camshaft can cause cam walk and destroy a gear.
13. extremely low oil pressure will cause this.
14. a worn oil pump drive gear shaft hole can cause this
15. a piece of bearing material can cause this, as a result from pump binding.

To get gear pieces out of the oil, drain the pan and use a small magnet as you add a light weight oil to the engine with the plug out of the pan.

Good luck and let me know if I may help youmore

jeepsr4ever
10-11-2004, 07:55 PM
what distributor are you using?

2jeeps
10-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Darn now you will know that I am from DUH-kota! I dont know. Vehicle is at the shop across town. I will see about it tomorrow afternoon. Do you still sell the gear sets?

bill

jeepsr4ever
10-12-2004, 08:28 AM
We still do and are 1.5 weeks out on them right now

BRAD ARTHUR
10-12-2004, 05:10 PM
dang i hate this problem, iam battling the same thing. mc is very knowledgable and a lot of help when it comes to this. i hope we have my prob ironed out 3rd time the cam (distr. drive gear) was wasted , for me.
check the time chain set--on the cam gear make certain there is a gully for the oil plus the key way? and part casting #s on the gear have been in the way.
check the inside of the timing cover where , closest to the cam area-are there any markings?
prime the oil pump with timing cover on and fuel pump off- look in the fuel pump opening and see if there is oil coming out the distr drive gear?
are you using a new distr., timing cover, oil pump gears , timing set, cam ?
is the distr. drive gear on properly- resessed side toward the front for the washer.
i know this is alot of info if you haven't been there, butr this forum explains alot more detail in different threads. let me know if i can explain myself better or pm me. i would like to help i know how frustaratijng it can be.

Bulltear Ad