PDA

View Full Version : cam shaft, bearings, valves and lifters

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

dmarston
10-11-2004, 08:17 PM
I own a precious 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. About a month ago, I noticed low oil pressure readings (hot and cold) and a tapping valve-like sound. Noise got dreadfully louder and NO OIL PRESSURE READING!!Yeah, I know now and all you JGW owners probably do too! Timing cover is worn, oil pump and gear has to be replaced with new parts. After two weeks of searching auto part suppliers ALL OVER the internet, I finally think i might have found the parts. External type oil pump with NEW timing cover for AMC 360 V-8. What a mess. Still haven't nailed these parts down, yet. Now, cam shaft, bearings, valves and perhaps lifters need to be replaced due to wear and tear from lack of oil pressure. I NEED ADVICE. New parts? Used parts? what brand name? Any special tweaking recommendations? Upgrade to performance parts? Will the crank shaft need to be lookkkked at, too?? Help!!! !! I've had my Jeep for 6 years. A few odd and end maintenace jobs, but nothing like this...

jeepsr4ever
10-12-2004, 08:27 AM
For timing covers you have np alternative but crown

Crown covers have a error rate so no matter who you buy from please make sure they check their covers.

Basic parts like valves and pushrods rockers should be bought by YOU not by the engine builder who will tack on a margin (I can help you get these parts cheap)

We sell a new cast cover and a nickel coated cast cover. The nickel is for longevity and we have had people eat 3 sets of distributor gears (distributor's fault) and only take a small amount of nickel away (which is very good, most covers after one set would have been toast). You dont have to buy from Bulltear but we do check our covers.

here is a small list of others that sell timing cover replacements

performanceamstyle.com
4wd.com
bjsoffroad.com

Low oil pressure causes extremely fast bearing wear. With the increase in pressure the oil will adhere to the bearing better. Chances are you need new bearings

Goose
10-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Since Jeepsr4ever is so modest I'm going to step in and give him a shameless plug and some recognition.

I just went through this exact problem about three weeks ago, I ordered my oil pump timing cover and various other parts through Bulltear and when I got them they were absolutely correct and ready to go..there is a great resource of knowledge and experience here, tap into it.. as far as what you might need. I can tell you what I did.

I replaced cam bearings (with the mod that MC recommends ) new cam and lifters new rods and mains and thouroghly flushed the oilpassages as well as replace the pick up tube in the oil pan, Mine was blocked. an i had a machine shop check crank it had some ridging but eas deemed acceptable. My advice (and I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to oil pressure) is if in doubt replace it. all the pieces work together and if just one is marginally out of spec you will be dumping precious oil pressure somewhere in the chain and it wont last long.

Bulltear checks out the timing cover for spec. and I found this site because of problems with a new crown timing cover I had ordered from another source that was a bad casting..Twice.. Get those parts here save yourself the trouble.

End of shameless testimonial.

Good luck and Welcome.

Dusty
10-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Why bandaid it, would also be my question, BTW Goose speaks the truth, friends of mine went through numerous timing covers to get ones that were right, I bought mine from MC, first time it was an exact fit. :?

Top quality products and reputation from Bulltear, all products they have stood behind. Prices are ussually reasonable, actually ussually a little low when compared to others, even when you can get it elsewhere for the same price why not help support a company that is devoted to prolonging the life and expanding the products available for AMC's.

BRAD ARTHUR
10-12-2004, 05:39 PM
i second all that, mc will stand behind his products and do what it takes to help and give you advice. good products, especially that nickel timing cover, don't short this area its very vital to an amc v8. housing the oil pump locating the distributor and covering the chain. o and mounting the fuel pump. worth the extra money
just my 2 cents

Bulltear Ad