PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself Jeep painting

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Goose
10-16-2004, 12:37 AM
Holy cow, Talk about a LARGE slice of humble pie.
I just got done with about 10 hours of painting the J-10..Me and a friend decided today was the day. I'm using an Industrial Implement paint from dupont, Pretty good stuff and cheap (they use it on Combines and Caterpillars and such) but you know when you don't listen to the people who made the paint, about thinning etc theres bound to be trouble.

Started out with a final sanding my bud on the D/A me on the block. Should have had 220 grit, NOPE he has 80 grit I have chucked up some 120..( we only noticed our blunder AFTER the sanding scratches are showing up in the non-sandable primer sealer)
Then they recommend a High volume low pressure gun and thinning max of 10% We figure Naahh we have a 15 year old Devilbliss siphon gun and are convinced to thin about 40%, since this paint looks like well chilled 80/90w. and the paint says temprature down to 40 deg and 90% humidity, Its 41deg and raining steadily.

Now to top this all off He and I are both graduates of the "rattlecan" school of autobody/painting.
He starts spraying on the roof and says" hey this is looking good!" 30 seconds later the runs and sags start above the doors, no problem go faster I think. I start painting I'm going so fast the primer is hitting the body and falling off it's going on so dry.. We look at each other and without another word exchange that "D'OHHH!" look thinking this is gonna be bad... Turns out we both learned pretty quick and the truck has a 30'paint job..(you know kinda like a chick with a moustache, "looks good in poor light or 30' away)

So the good part of the story is Primer is 28.00 a gallon and paint is 40.00 for RED and we stopped before applying the color. and the primer is a primer sealer so it wont rust this winter while I learn whether non-sandable really means non-sandable or if the manufacturer just liked the sound of the word.. #-o

jeepsr4ever
10-17-2004, 05:05 PM
:-|

jeep.xj.4x4
10-20-2004, 08:37 PM
That's why I used a $22 gallon of rustoleum for my beast! http://www.jeepxj4x4.com/mjpics.html

Goose
10-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Not bad for 22$ looks good, We learned a lot during our little misadventure, ( we had someone show up who was and "Old time painter" thats who convinced us to thin it so much) but all in all it's not going too badly the runs are sanding out fine and when I get a chance I'm gonna respray it .. maybe this time I'll do it on a windy day in my dirt driveway when the bugs are flying..(would make for another funny post anyway) 111!!!

jeep.xj.4x4
10-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I got a couple bugs in mine! :mrgreen: I figure they'll dig up the MJ in 1000 years and clone things from the bugs, like in Jurassic park! :mrgreen:

Goose
10-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Well I found a couple good things in the last weeks, 1. the primer sealer is working slick, this syuff beads water like crazy unlike the rattle-can stuff which soaks it up like a sponge. 2. either I got lucky or God is smiling on my ignorance, the runs are sanding out nicely soooo if the weather holds and my arm holds up we might be off to the rodeo again in a week or so.. If not springtime..

Now If I can only get the stinkin fuel gauge to work in the CJ before it snows so deep I have to dig a tunnel to get under it !!

Bulltear Ad