PDA

View Full Version : AMC V8 to AW4

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

OlyWaXj
10-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Has anybody done or attempted this?
I have all the parts sitting here on the floor and it will bolt togather,but there are a couple issues.

First of all is the flexplate,you cant use a TH400(only has 3 mounting bolts) nor can you use a 727 flexplate.The AW4 TC has 4 mounting tabs but they are 9" apart where the 727 plates holes are 10" apart.You could use the AW4 flexplate,but would it need to be rebalanced?

Next issue,the pilot bushing.I'll just have to figure this one out unless someone has already done it.I have several V8's and a couple 6's to check to get ideas.

Next comes the starter.The AW4 and the V8 starters nose cone are diffrent and the throw of the bendix is diffrent.

TIA in advance for any guidance,
OlyWa

Briteblock
10-20-2004, 03:36 PM
dang why would you want to? 727's are plentifull

OlyWaXj
10-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Why would I want too? Hmmm lets see...
The AW4 is a 4 speed w/locking TC,the 727 is a 3 speed
The AW4 can handle alot of HP w/no mods,the 727? well mabey
The AW4 I can setup to shift 1,2,3,4 and TC lock/unlock electronically,the 727 is still just a 3 speed auto.
I didnt mention what I'm building,it's a XJ/buggy/truggy errr thing.It's alot of cage and a lil bit of XJ.I currently have a 727 in there,but think its a little short(AW4 is longer).
Dont get me wrong the 727 is a good trans(we use them in our race jeeps),but for the amount of control I can get out of a AW4 I'll swap.
So far what I'm going to try is a redrilled 727/360 flexplate.
OlyWa

ol' school power
10-24-2004, 03:36 PM
The AW-4 cannot handle a lot of Hp without mods. The guys running hi horse motors have aboout 2400 bucks in them.
You need to use the AW flex plate and have the appropriate v-8 weight added ( if it's an 8 ). The 6's are neutral balanced so there is no balance.
The converter snout is a standard AMC size as long as the converter is from a Jeep. The factory Jeep mini starter ( not aftermarket) also has to be used since the gears are different.
You also need to add a throttle position sensor and control box since the shifting is all electronic.
After adding up all the costs and time, the th-700R4 may be a way better option.

OlyWaXj
10-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Old school,
mabey you dont understand..I DONT need a TPS and yes there will be a control box of sorts.The control box will only tell the trans what gear I want it in(not to include P,N and D).I will have to figure out the kickdown(as I understand it not really a kickdown but tells the trans how much to slip) but that'll be easy.
To see what I'm going to do a search on BrettM on pirate or NAXJA.
I'm sure the AW4 will handle all of the 300 or so HP ill be making.
I currently have it bolted to the motor and am working on mating the 727 flexplate.The starter in this case will be stock V8.
I might get a AW4 flexplate just to compare but I dont think it'll matter.
Thanks for the tip on the "snout" but I have already test fitted it and it does in fact fit.
As for the 700R...I try to avoid "GM" parts in a jeep at all costs hehehe.
OlyWa

Lifted79CJ7
10-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Keep us posted on this conversion - sounds pretty interesting. What are the gear ratios in this trans?

ol' school power
10-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Old school,
mabey you dont understand..I DONT need a TPS and yes there will be a control box of sorts.The control box will only tell the trans what gear I want it in(not to include P,N and D).I will have to figure out the kickdown(as I understand it not really a kickdown but tells the trans how much to slip) but that'll be easy.
To see what I'm going to do a search on BrettM on pirate or NAXJA.
I'm sure the AW4 will handle all of the 300 or so HP ill be making.
I currently have it bolted to the motor and am working on mating the 727 flexplate.The starter in this case will be stock V8.
I might get a AW4 flexplate just to compare but I dont think it'll matter.
Thanks for the tip on the "snout" but I have already test fitted it and it does in fact fit.
As for the 700R...I try to avoid "GM" parts in a jeep at all costs hehehe.
OlyWa

Sorry, misunderstanding on my part. I was thinking of the trans being fully functional in an automatic sense.
As far as no GM parts, they were used from the factory until 1979 without failure so can't be all bad.

OlyWaXj
10-26-2004, 07:01 PM
These are the gear ratios 2.80, 1.53, 1.00, 0.75.I'm also putting a flipped Dana300 behind,to do this you have to mechine the "snout" of the input bearing retainer to remove the seal area.You then have to run a sealed bearing SKF part# 6209 2RSJEM.I'll try and get a digi and get some pics of this.
Old school,GM makes fine parts.We also race jeeps and everybody rips the AMC's out to run chevs.They all give us(AMC guys) a hard time about our "ramblers".It's just a pet peve of mine to not run GM stuff if possable.
OlyWa

bobhalverson
12-04-2004, 09:32 PM
the aw-4 should fit on an amc v-8 using the 4.0 flywheel & starter- it'll have to be balanced but the crank & bellhousing patterns are the same- i did the opposite conversion you are doing- i put a 998 (HD 904 from a 304) behind a 4.0 & used the stock injection- i had to have a holder for the crank sensor welded into the bellhousing & had to weld bolts to the front of the converter (ford style) & put nuts on from the front of the flexplate- has worked flawlessly for 10k miles- i may take it apart again to try to convert it to the lower first gear ratio someday- let me know how this conversion goes- i would be concerned about the shift timing- it would be interesting to see how the factory controller works- these transmissions hold up very well behind the 4.0 engines that Rpm like a small block chevy- if its not getting a lot of full throttle hi rpm upshifts it may lead a long & happy life!!! :lo1l:

OlyWaXj
12-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Things are goin togather nice.Other than one bolt hole you cant use where the CPS mounts its all bolt togather.

http://home.comcast.net/~woookie/Dec07034.JPG
This is the AW4 flexplate rebalanced and mounted on the 360.You cant use a 727 flexplate,its too deep and makes contact inside the bellhousing.

http://home.comcast.net/~woookie/Dec07035.JPG
Here is a shot of the two bolted up.

I got my shifter from BrettM(on pirate or NAXJA) heres his website http://awshifting.bravehost.com I dont think he makes any money from this,and its a whole lot easier than breaking out the VOM and figuring it out yourself.
OlyWa

jpnjim
01-15-2005, 10:02 AM
OlyWaXj,
Great project! keep us updated!! :lo1l:

OlyWaXj
01-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Things are goin slow for my rig rite now.I'm helping or building 2 other jeeps at the moment,but I'll keep this updated as things progress.
Here is a teaser of one of them http://home.comcast.net/~woookie/dennis_2.bmp
This is a XJ on a FS wag frame(cut down 6"),it'll have a 400hp 401 with TH400/D20.
OlyWa

Lifted79CJ7
01-24-2005, 08:54 PM
:!:

Bulltear Ad